Framing a three wide opening for individual windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
yville72

Framing a three wide opening for individual windows

#1 Post by yville72 »

I'm going to be replacing all of my windows in my house soon. I am in the business of window replacement/installation mostly on the commercial end, but have done numerous residential side projects. I am very meticulous when it comes to installing windows/doors. As many windows as I've installed, I still find myself thinking about the best way to tackle my project. My existing windows are old finless wood double hungs with exterior brickmould. I have already decided that I'm going to do a full replacement so I can incorporate a nail fin installation. This in my opinion is the best way to install a window when possible. I have a lot of rotted areas, plus i'm replacing my siding anyway, so why not just install the windows the most effective way. I like the idea of the jamb extensions also because they give me space to hang blinds. My problem comes with the double and triple wide openings. In the past with vinyl, even with aluminum, I have had issues when units come out factory mulled with the center units or in the case of doubles the non wall side jambs bow a bit and there is no way to properly shim those at the meeting/check rail. I'm sure that you experts on here have dealt with that situation a time or two. Knowing how important proper shimming in that area is, I'm thinking of framing these openings so I can install individual windows. I will use a double 2x for each mullion and finish the exterior off with some composite trim or a vinyl spacer mullion. I know i'm going to be loosing some glass area, but not as much as if I were to do a pocket replacement. Plus the wider mullion in white will look good as an offset color to the darker siding I'm having installed. I wanted to get your guys opinion as to, 1. Do you have a good trick to take care of the factory mulling units when they bow a bit in order to get the meeting rail back to proper sightline and 2. Do you think I'm over thinking this and I should just get the damn things factory mulled :D

TheWindowNerd

Re: Framing a three wide opening for individual windows

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

1. yes 2. yes

theWindowNerd

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Some explanation.
You are using vinyl with an integral fin. If the fin is not integral you are losing the big advantage.
Using a well made unit like Okna 800Dx we have not had any mull deflection issues, you have to use a great window.

TheWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Wise advice from the Window Nerd :)

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

I haven’t really ran into that issue but you could just remove the million and shim if needed then install a new mull piece. You’ll likely damage the one you take off but they’re not to difficult to change out. There’s usually only about an 1/8” space between the two windows so I don’t really foresee that being an issue. But if so that’s the solution I would take