Cost of installing Aluminum Trim

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Intermedius

Cost of installing Aluminum Trim

#1 Post by Intermedius »

Hello all,

New to the Board and have found resourceful information in the archives.

I have a 10 window job all Double Hung and energy star efficient for the North East. The upgrade for colonial GBG is $30 (for both upper/lower) which I'm happy with, but My window Contractor has quoted Me $75 per window for "Custom Aluminum Trim" which includes the trim & install.

Feedback I need..

Is if aluminum trim is ideal, when I have cedar shakes exterior?

What are the pros/cons of aluminum trim vs vinyl flat casing?

Is the price quoted reasonable, considering the labor for window install is a different line item inclusive with the good window price I'm paying?

toddinmn

Re: Cost of installing Aluminum Trim

#2 Post by toddinmn »

The price is low and very fair if the install is quality.
If done right it is idea, it comes down to appearance which is subjective. Not a fan of flat pvc trim,or any flat trim. Often what looks best is what was original to the house.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#3 Post by masterext »

$30 bucks for gbg is below cost which is odd. just because a window is energy star doesnt mean its a qualty window.
a low quality window by MI windows or crystal can be energy star rated but they are very low quality brands.
most pro’s highly recommend soft lite, okna , sunrise, or kensington if you want a very efficient and well made vinyl window.
what window brand were u quoted?

Intermedius

#4 Post by Intermedius »

masterext wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 am $30 bucks for gbg is below cost which is odd. just because a window is energy star doesnt mean its a qualty window.
a low quality window by MI windows or crystal can be energy star rated but they are very low quality brands.
most pro’s highly recommend soft lite, okna , sunrise, or kensington if you want a very efficient and well made vinyl window.
what window brand were u quoted?
I was quoted $30 for the same GBG for both Berkshire Elite (Revere) and Ecoshield line by (KasKel). I believe the SDL were more than twice as much If I recall.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#5 Post by masterext »

sdl are much more. i assume u are in new york?

Intermedius

#6 Post by Intermedius »

I am, but the house is not. The contractor is from NY though.

masterext

#7 Post by masterext »

what color is your current trim?

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

The grid price is normal, SDLs will be much more than double with extended lead times.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Those prices sound about right 10 years ago... possibly low-ish even then. As Masterext mentioned, the GBG price is under cost for many windows, and the labor and material on exterior capping is in the neighborhood of that as well.
Perhaps this company jacks up their base price to make his money and then gives away the options near cost, those are some red flags about the sustainability of that business if not.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

What Homesealed said makes sense , this sounds like a contractor trying to stay busy or typically. Works as a subcontractor for others or just trying to get the next paycheck. I would be doing this job for cost and losing money if any mistakes were made. Even at cost I would be losing money since it would detract from jobs with even a modest margin. I’d proceed with caution since it is small mistake from your contractor bailing . It may work out good for you in the end but the risk is much higher for both.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

As the others have noted, proceed with caution.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Additionally no one has mentioned the scope of work: what are the shapes of the caps ( L or box caps, etc), w1dth, locations ( heights), what grade of coil and caulk.
Lets see some pictures of previous work.
$75. if done right is a great price.

theWindowNerd

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What does done right mean to you...
It last
It protects
It looks great.