Which Should Come First: New Siding or New Windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Stiletto

Which Should Come First: New Siding or New Windows?

#1 Post by Stiletto »

I'm going to be having my windows replaced soon with Sunrise Restorations full frame windows, but I need new siding and gutters as well. I was thinking that while I am waiting for the windows to arrive, I could have the siding replaced with James Hardie fiber-cement siding. However, I was told by one contractor that it is preferred that the new windows be installed before the new siding.
Being that my window dealer provides a lifetime warranty on their workmanship, I thought it would instead make sense for the new siding to go on first, and then the new windows to be installed and sealed to the siding.
Being that I am certainly not an expert in this area, I'd really appreciate the opinions and advice of the professionals on here. Which would you recommend: having the windows replaced first and then the siding, or having the siding replaced first, and then the windows?
Thank you in advance, I cannot begin to tell you how truly invaluable your comments and guidance have been to me!

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Which Should Come First: New Siding or New Windows?

#2 Post by masterext »

Do the Windows before siding.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Tear off she siding and trim house wrap, windows then siding.
The important thing is the siders windowers are on the same page since the windows are tied into the siding /weather barrier system. Always easier when the siders and windowers are the same contractor. I would have a meeting with both and make sure who is responsible for what.having 2 separate installers can lead to finger pointing and big problems down the road. I have never done it this way and have turned jobs down jobs because of this.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

toddinmn wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:55 pm Tear off she siding and trim house wrap, windows then siding.
The important thing is the siders windowers are on the same page since the windows are tied into the siding /weather barrier system. Always easier when the siders and windowers are the same contractor. I would have a meeting with both and make sure who is responsible for what.having 2 separate installers can lead to finger pointing and big problems down the road. I have never done it this way and have turned jobs down jobs because of this. If you look at some vids on how to flash a window( the dupont vids are good) you can see how they need to tie into each other.

Stiletto

#5 Post by Stiletto »

masterext wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:24 pm Do the Windows before siding.
Thanks masterext for the quick response. Could you help me better understand why that is the way to go? The other contractor I spoke to said the same thing, but did not explain why, I really want to understand it.

Stiletto

#6 Post by Stiletto »

toddinmn wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:55 pm Tear off she siding and trim house wrap, windows then siding.
The important thing is the siders windowers are on the same page since the windows are tied into the siding /weather barrier system. Always easier when the siders and windowers are the same contractor. I would have a meeting with both and make sure who is responsible for what.having 2 separate installers can lead to finger pointing and big problems down the road. I have never done it this way and have turned jobs down jobs because of this.
Thank Todd, appreciate the feedback and the suggestion for having a meeting between the two contractors. Would have been nice to have single stop shopping but none of the higher-line vinyl windows are sold by good siding contractors. The premium vinyl windows are sold only by window and door dealers.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

As Todd was mentioning, they usually go together.

Depends on what type of window they are tearing out? What is the current window? Wood, Vinyl, Metal, other?

Stiletto

#8 Post by Stiletto »

Windows on Washington wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:39 pm As Todd was mentioning, they usually go together.

Depends on what type of window they are tearing out? What is the current window? Wood, Vinyl, Metal, other?
Thanks Wow, the windows that are coming out are the original single pane builder-grade wood windows, house was built in 1991. Doing windows and siding at the same time in my situation is not likely.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

You should have a plan in place. If they wrap the windows it could get damaged later when they do the siding or have to be redone. If you are using windows with nail fins they may want flash the windows differently. Whoever touches the job last is going to have to ensure the flashing is correct. If there is a problem later down the road there is the potential for finger pointing. I would say do the windows first since there is the potential for the siding not being done but my opinion could change depending on the job.

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

If they are single pane wood, I would just do the windows as an insert and make sure they know you might be doing the siding at a later date. They may be able to do the wrapping/cladding in a manner that will preserve it when they rip off the siding.

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Since you are doing full frame windows it makes the most sense to do the windows first, if they have integral nailing fins, then the siding. The siding crew will then be responsible for all the water management.
I would still require mechanical drip caps regardless.

wayne theWindowNerd.com

Stiletto

#12 Post by Stiletto »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:02 am Since you are doing full frame windows it makes the most sense to do the windows first, if they have integral nailing fins, then the siding. The siding crew will then be responsible for all the water management.
I would still require mechanical drip caps regardless.

wayne theWindowNerd.com
Thanks Wayne, these would be Sunrise Restorations full frame windows, I will have to check as to whether they can be ordered with a nailing fin. I'm curious though, if they do not have a nailing fin, would you still recommend they be done before the siding or does it not matter at that point?
Tony

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

Quick question. Why the full frame option if we are talking about a single pane wood? Are you worried about glass loss or is there some other motivation?

toddinmn

#14 Post by toddinmn »

Every case is different but once it comes down to replacing the siding , it makes doing nail fin More attractive . The newer the house the more attractive full frames are since the interior trim is typically more simple. The argument could lstill be made both ways though Uf was my house. I planned to stay in there would be little doubt which way I would go.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the windows are with out fins and there is no exterior casing on the windows, then the windows would go first so that the new siding could go right up to the window. Only if the windows were being done as a pocket insert into existing wood frames then it does not matter the order.

Wayn theWindowNerd