Okna v Harvey v Ideal

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
friedricho

Okna v Harvey v Ideal

#1 Post by friedricho »

Hi All!

I live just outside of Philadelphia, PA and would love your thoughts on which quotes/products would be best for my area.

[b]Background[/b]
- Original windows from 1996, rotting and some are broken and very drafty
- We live on a hill so get a ton of wind
- Very little shade in our backyard so back of the house heats up a lot
- Looking for replacement not new construction
- Plan on living here for at least 15 years

[b]Window Quote[/b]
(8) Double Hung - Cottage Style ~35x70
(21) Double Hung ~35x63
(1) Slider/casement over kitchen sink
(1) 6' sliding patio door

[b]Quote #1[/b]
Great Lakes Comfort Series by Plygem with EnergyGuard 2 IS glass w/ frame insulation, reinforced sash
$32,460 (~$1,015 per win)

[b]Quote #2[/b]
Okna 500 Series
Deluxe Energy Saving Package with Argon
*Patio door uses single lock
$21,541 (~$651 per win)

[b]Quote #3[/b]
Harvey Tribute Series
ThermaLock (ES 6.0) 2x Low-E Argon
$17,810 (~$527 per win)

[b]Quote #4[/b]
Okna 500 Series
Deluxe Energy Saving Package with Argon
*Patio door has triple locks
*Also includes replacement of two additional circle top windows that are above my double hungs in the living room
$20.897 (~$630 per win)

[b]Quote #5[/b]
Ideal Majestic Series
*waiting on pricing details

[b]Questions...[/b]
1. The installer for #3 is a smaller Amish company that comes recommended by a few of my neighbors. The Amish are typically really great craftsmen and less expensive in our area but he doesn't have a big online presence (go figure haha). How do the Harvey windows compare to the Okna? Should I be concerned going with a smaller contractor?

2. I am using $2,000 as the average cost for the patio door since none of the quotes break out that cost. Is that accurate? Is "triple locks" a good feature to have? The one Okna quote includes that feature and the other doesn't.

3. How would you rank the four products? Harvey Tribute, Okna 500 DX, Ideal Majestic, Great Lakes

4. If the Ideal Majestic is around the same price as the Okna which would you go with?

Any other thoughts and recommendations are greatly appreciated. This is a big purchase for our family so I want to make sure we make the right choice.

Thanks in advance!!

Ricknez

Re: Okna v Harvey v Ideal

#2 Post by Ricknez »

The okna 500 and Ideal majestic are good windows. The majestic has a nice look to it. Are these double hung windows? The okna pricing is very competitive. Im not a huge fan of harvey even though i was just at their king of prussia p.a location which is in the philly area. Its now called Lansing but i still call it harvey. They treat me well there and i buy sealants and aluminum but i am not big on their windows at all.
Which company is selling the great lakes comfort series for 1k per window? Is it replacement or new construction?

friedricho

#3 Post by friedricho »

Ye, they are all double hung except for one window over our kitchen sink we would like to replace the casement with a slider. The great lakes quote is for replacement and was from Zimmerman Roofing in New Holland PA. Agreed it is super high and we were really surprised when we got that estimate.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

#4 , triple lock and circle top for less.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Okna 500DX is what I would suggest. On the surface with out seeing the scope of work we would be $21,400.
We most often use the 800DX it is only $50 more per window.
Both the Okna numbers you were quoted are good numbers, Okna is the best window you have looked at.
Go for it.

wayne theWindowNerd.com

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

Both Oknas are the better quotes. What is the difference between the two companies?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

We have a great contractor on this board who i think may serve your area ( the window nerd). Very cool guy and an awesome contractor. Maybe you want to reach out to him.

friedricho

#8 Post by friedricho »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:44 am The Okna 500DX is what I would suggest. On the surface with out seeing the scope of work we would be $21,400.
We most often use the 800DX it is only $50 more per window.
Both the Okna numbers you were quoted are good numbers, Okna is the best window you have looked at.
Go for it.

wayne theWindowNerd.com
Thanks Wayne. Is the 800DX worth the extra cost? What makes it better then the 500?

friedricho

#9 Post by friedricho »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 4:06 pm +1.

Both Oknas are the better quotes. What is the difference between the two companies?
Both companies are highly rated on Angies list and other review sites. Not much difference that I can tell.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

The 800 has structural reinforcement as well as an interlocking sill and header.

friedricho

#11 Post by friedricho »

Can any of the contractors comment on how a replacement circle top is typically installed? Does the window get substantially smaller or have a big border around it on the outside of the house? Also a bit concerned that if we don't replace them at the same time as the windows below that the glass will look noticeably different.

masterext

#12 Post by masterext »

I wouldnt worry about the circle top. Its a fixed window and i wouldnt worry about it not matching on the outside. No one will notice unless they are really looking for it.

TheWindowNerd

#13 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If the glass in the circle top is not failed I would leave it be. Just detailed one yesterday. We will leave the half round alone, if the glass fails we will reglaze it in the future.

friedricho

#14 Post by friedricho »

Appreciate all the help everyone! Can't believe I know this about much windows now :D