casement window replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
davejodisharp

casement window replacement

#1 Post by davejodisharp »

I just had a wood dual casement window replaced with a vinyl picture window and it has about an inch gap between the edge of the picture window frame and my interior trim all the way around (larger on the sides than top/bottom). The installer told me that he didn't know exactly how the casement was installed and that there would be a gap there regardless, but the gap was large because the entire window frame came out which was not normal. They covered the interior gap with a 1" plastic mold which, to me, looks like a bandaid and I'm not happy. They said that the only way that I would get the window clean interface against the interior window trim would be a complete tear out and, of course, want more money to do that. Am I getting hosed? I feel like they simply didn't measure correctly but I don't know windows or window installation.

HomeSealed

Re: casement window replacement

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Any pics David? Its possible that the window was measured smaller than the ideal size. That would be worst case and I'm not sure that "hosed" would be the correct description based on that fact alone. Certainly a pic showing a terrible install could change my mind.

What is a distinct possibility however is that the windows were sized based on the conditions. One situation that comes to mind would be an original Pella or Weathershield casement unit where a pocket replacement/insert installation is used. Those original units had stops milled into to the buck frame, so the alternatives are to down size the new window to fit, or cut/chisel those areas which is not ideal either.... The long and the short of though, is that its hard to say without seeing some details.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Tough to tell without looking at your contact and what the installation specifics of it were. Casement inserts can sometimes be tough as there are a bunch of ways that they come out. I have measured stuff 3 times and still gotten some wrong.

As long as as they got them properly attached and sealed in, they installation should be fine. If you don't like the flat vinyl trim, you can ask them to change that out for some wood stops of a sort for a bit more finished trim look.

davejodisharp

#4 Post by davejodisharp »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:33 pm Tough to tell without looking at your contact and what the installation specifics of it were. Casement inserts can sometimes be tough as there are a bunch of ways that they come out. I have measured stuff 3 times and still gotten some wrong.

As long as as they got them properly attached and sealed in, they installation should be fine. If you don't like the flat vinyl trim, you can ask them to change that out for some wood stops of a sort for a bit more finished trim look.
This is very helpful, thank you. My expectation was that the window would be a clean interface to the trim like all of my doublehungs were but maybe my expectations are too high and I need to readjust them.

davejodisharp

#5 Post by davejodisharp »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:28 pm Any pics David? Its possible that the window was measured smaller than the ideal size. That would be worst case and I'm not sure that "hosed" would be the correct description based on that fact alone. Certainly a pic showing a terrible install could change my mind.

What is a distinct possibility however is that the windows were sized based on the conditions. One situation that comes to mind would be an original Pella or Weathershield casement unit where a pocket replacement/insert installation is used. Those original units had stops milled into to the buck frame, so the alternatives are to down size the new window to fit, or cut/chisel those areas which is not ideal either.... The long and the short of though, is that its hard to say without seeing some details.
This is helpful, thank you. Based on your response, I think I have to lower my expectations. It doesn't look like the other windows where there is a clean interface between the window and the trim but given situations it might be the best that can be expected. I will go back to the installer and see what other trim arrangements can be made so that it looks better (atleast to me). Thanks!

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Again, hard to say without seeing. Yes, you should be able to expect a "clean" interface from window to trim. What "clean" means can be subjective though. You should be able to expect a professional, finished appearance... As WOW stated, if the vinyl extender trim doesn't look great there, there is often a piece of wood that could be used instead. When we use material like that its only in cases where wood won't work for a variety of reasons, but some other guys use it as standard.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I tend to measure tight. Sometimes that creates a problem getting them in.
Remember one casement window job that we were doing prestained wood insert casements into, that stop Brandon mentioned was routed as part of the master frame, I thought it was a removable stop.
I went and bought 2 2" wood chisels and we chiseled off those stop on 50 windows, turned out great with a ton of extra
effort.

wayne theWindownerd