Why is this so hard?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DJJ

Why is this so hard?

#1 Post by DJJ »

I am looking to replace my last 20 double hung windows and 2 casement windows. I had 10 double hung windows replaced 7 years ago. I replaced them with Soft-Lite Imperial windows which I am very pleased with. I used an "official" Soft-Lite contractor 7 years ago. I now have a different contractor that I know well and trust. He tried to get a quote from Soft-Lite as I was trying to keep all my windows the same. Soft-Lite WILL NOT sell to him. Totally ridiculous. So I did some research and found Okna windows to be a good alternative to Soft-Lite. My contractor contacted Okna and they gave him the contact information of a local dealer. The local dealer is giving him the runaround. It's been a month with several phone calls with no success. So I am now giving up on Okna. Can anybody recommend a good solid window company that actually sells their windows to the general public? My contractor says he can get Harvey or Andersen windows. I have read the reviews on Harveys and they are mixed. Andersen's tend to be on the expensive side. I am just looking for a solid mid priced window that will match up well with my existing Soft-Lites. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

toddinmn

Re: Why is this so hard?

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Most upper end vinyl companies protect there dealers especially with there top offerings. The reality is you need to go to a Softlite dealer to get the same window and Most won’t sell them as material only. Where are you at? Have you tried another Soflite dealer?

DJJ

#3 Post by DJJ »

I am in Massachusetts. There doesn’t appear to be a lot of Soft-Lite or Okna dealers in this area.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

SL did do some distribution to some siding and roofing supply yards.
Call around or try SL to see if they have a distributor in the area.

wayne theWindowNerd.com

WindowsDirectCinci

#5 Post by WindowsDirectCinci »

Your better off going to the Soft-Lite "dealer" If your new contractor isn't a window "dealer" what happens should you ever need warranty service. He will not be able to hep you and you'll be having a hard time at that point getting anything done. It's better to deal with a dealer so they can take care of the manufacturer warranty and some even include labor at no charge.

DJJ

#6 Post by DJJ »

I have tried contacting Soft-Lite directly. They pretty much won't even answer my emails anymore since I am not using their "dealer" who is actually pushing Pro-Via windows now. This "dealer" was also a registered Hardie Plank installer which he now doesn't do. I need to finish my house with Hardie Plank siding and about 20 windows. So I am now using a trusted contractor who I have worked with for years. He is the type of guy that if I ever have a problem, will fix it immediately free of charge. If I have a problem with any window he installs, I am not worried. It will be immediately taken care of. So I am not worried at all about warranty service. I just want the ability to purchase either Soft-Lite or Okna windows. Unfortunately, it looks like I will have to go in another direction.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where in MA are you located? Feel free to email me.

Enovotny@windowsonwashington.net

DJJ

#8 Post by DJJ »

I sent you an email. I am located in Methuen, Ma.