replacement window installation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cmrobert

replacement window installation

#1 Post by cmrobert »

We had all new windows installed about two weeks ago. It seems that the bottom of the window is too tight and pushes up the lower sill. see attached picture. is this a bad installation? and what went wrong? can this be easily fixed by the installer?

THank you

Chris
Attachments
window.jpg

Ricknez

Re: replacement window installation

#2 Post by Ricknez »

It probably has nothing to do with the install. The sill or screen may be a little bowed. Either way the installer could probably fix it.
What brand of window?

cmrobert

#3 Post by cmrobert »

Joyce windows out of Ohio. the installers came this morning and they apologized and said they would fix the bottom sill. The screens are definitely square and you can see that the sills are bowed out on the bottom. The owner guy had assumed that his helper, his son, had done it properly. He said that the sill was not hammered in correctly or whatever, and it would be an easy fix. They are local and everything else about them has been very good. $10,000 for 20 windows and they look like good windows too. well -insulated, good sound insulation, solid looking and feeling. We got the insulator series version from joyce

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#4 Post by masterext »

Your pricing looks very good, Joyce make a pretty good window.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Looks like the screen track is bowed a bit. This happens from time to time and can be massaged back down with a heat gun and pressure.

cmrobert

#6 Post by cmrobert »

we also got a quote from westshore homes of $33K (price to buy on the spot was $33K, price to buy later was like 5% higher - terrible sales tactic). The joyce are nice looking windows - seem like a good value to me. They are not as well known.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

I think West Shore may use a composite window which is much more expensive than regular vinyl.
What state are you in?

cmrobert

#8 Post by cmrobert »

pennsylvania - that sounds right about the composites. They are bit nicer, but my budget did not have room for $33K in windows. I don't live in a mansion or supremely special house that would require spending that much. haha

uncle eddie

#9 Post by uncle eddie »

Did your installers fix this? Make sure that they don't drive a screw down through your sill, that will eventually leak water into your wall.

I'm a little less optimistic on this than the other guys, to me it looks like you got what you paid for. $500 is not a good price for windows any more, not in the last 5 years. For $500 you get a product that has some deficiencies, in this case a sill with the rigidity of a wet noodle, and installers with deficiencies as well who either overfilled the sill area with foam, used the wrong foam, or simply just didn't care to address this. Not to sound harsh, but I'm not going to beat around the bush either. At that price, even for a lower cost window I would not expect these guys to be around much longer.