Wood window replacements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
rich55

Wood window replacements

#1 Post by rich55 »

I live in MN and have 25 year old Kolbe double hung wood windows and will replace them with wood windows. While I understand many on this board prefer vinyl, we like the look of wood and will continue with them. I'm looking for recommendations or things to consider when choosing them. Right now we're considering Pella Lifestyle, Marvin Elevate, Anderson 400 or Kolbe Classic. Which of these would you choose? Are there other wood window brands we should consider? Thanks!
Last edited by rich55 on Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Wood window replacements

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What is wrong with the 25 year old Kolbes? Have you reached out to them? Might be more likely to get a "Brother in Law's" discount from them if you were replacing Kolbes with Kolbes. Something to consider.

rich55

#3 Post by rich55 »

We're replacing them as part of a hail damage claim. The contractor we're working with says the Kolbe aluminum exterior makes them more susceptible to hail damage than, say a vinyl or fiberglass clad window.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Aluminum clad can be thin or thick. Thicker is referred to as extruded. If that is what you want then that is what you have to spec. Lifestyles is not extruded aluminum, Reserved is.
I like the Marvin Elevate with the fiberglass exterior.
I also like the AW 400 Woodwright, A series, and E series. Woodwright and A series are fiberex, please do not mix this up with fiberglass, it is not.
Sometimes if you change brands, Kolbe to Marvin , the standard size may not be the same. Some you can get prestained, others not.
Lots of variables.

wayne theWindowNerd.com

rich55

#5 Post by rich55 »

Awesome information, thank you. I have yet to see the Marvin Elevate product in person but will take a look based on your recommendation.

The current Kolbe windows we have are extruded aluminum exterior. My contractor was trying to get us to steer clear of windows with extruded aluminum exteriors because they are more easily damaged in a hail storm.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Where is the damage to the cladding? Frame or sash?

Extruded aluminum cladding is quite robust as compared to roll formed. Anything that is damaging enough to dent that level of cladding, is probably going to damage a fiberglass window finish as well.

What climate region is the home in?

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I was guessing that the sash are roll formed and only the frame was extruded. It was one of the ways Kolbe tried to under price Marvin 20 years ago.
You can do the Elevate in both full frame or insert style.

wayne theWindowNerd

rich55

#8 Post by rich55 »

@TheWindowNerd - I was mistaken and you are correct, the Kolbe Classic window is roll-formed aluminum.

I was able to visit a store today to see the Marvin Elevate today and it looks very nice. Hopefully the pricing will be similar to the Kolbe Classics as well as the others i mentioned before.

Love that there is a forum like this with access to window experts!

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

The Elevate, set as a pocket style replacement, would be a good option for you here.