Recommendations for modern style picture windows in Austin, TX?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jason_t

Recommendations for modern style picture windows in Austin, TX?

#1 Post by jason_t »

I'm investigating replacing some existing picture windows on a east-facing wall. The opening is about 106" wide, and 95" high. I'm expecting I'll get 3 mulled picture windows that run vertically (so 3 95" tall, 35" wide).

I've gotten a couple of quotes so far (all prices include windows + install):
Anderson 100 series (fibrex): $5000
Marvin essential (fiberglass): $6000
MI 1620R (vinyl): $3000

As you can see, both the prices and materials are all over the place. It's been difficult to find decent information; I contacted one company that prominently displays Milgard and Jeld-Wen on their website, and when they get here I find what they actually currently carry is MI.

Here is my prioritized (highest priority at the top) list of care-abouts for these windows:
Modern style (clean/square lines, low profile frame)
Energy efficiency
Quality/warranty
cost

Any recommendations for either brands or installers?

Randy

Re: Recommendations for modern style picture windows in Austin, TX?

#2 Post by Randy »

Andersen’s 100 series is not a low-profile window, but it’s a good product.
Marvin’s Essential is the best of the bunch by a wide margin, if it’s in the budget.
Sunrise has dealers in the Austin area, I believe. You might try contacting them as they make a nice vinyl window.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

So I had to check through the quote software. Marvin will do the size in a direct glazed rectangle, you will need tempered glass. The the Essential line you have several chooses for exterior color, but only black or white for the interior.
Marvin also has a new contemporary line that may have more and better glass options.

wayne theWindowNerd

jason_t

#4 Post by jason_t »

So I had to check through the quote software. Marvin will do the size in a direct glazed rectangle, you will need tempered glass. The the Essential line you have several chooses for exterior color, but only black or white for the interior.
We need tempered glass anyway, as its less than 18" from the floor. Also I believe the "bronze" color is available
Marvin also has a new contemporary line that may have more and better glass options.
What's the name of that? Is it on their website?
Sunrise has dealers in the Austin area, I believe. You might try contacting them as they make a nice vinyl window.
The specs for Sunrise look good, but the style looks more "traditional", rather than "modern".

I think we like the look of the Marvin windows (its hard to tell...why do all window manufactures put pictures of fronts of houses on their websites?). Any other options for a brand with a modern style? The Marvins would be at the top of the budget, ideally I'd find something for $4k - $5k. Who would be the main competitor to Marvin in the Austin area?

We currently have aluminum windows that we actually like the look of (very low profile, less than 1" frame visible) but it seems that type of window isn't available anymore, probably due to energy code.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Has to be bigger than 9 sq/ft in addition to the 18" from the floor.

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/IBC20 ... ype=public

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yep your energy code blocks some nice options.
With the Marvin in the new Contemporary line, it is aluminum and fiberglass, you may be able to go to a twin PW instead of a triple.
Another low profile frame that comes to mind is clad frame support product from Pella, it is a direct set PW, extruded aluminum exterior with wood interior. Several glass options.

jason_t

#7 Post by jason_t »

I found a link to the Marvin Contemporary line of products: https://www.marvin.com/contemporary

But looking at it, it appears to me to be the same window lines, the "Signature" and the "Essential" as are on their "standard" website. Is there really a Contemporary line of windows from Marvin, or is it just marketing-speak for the same windows?