Solace patio door is it the same as sunrise restorations?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Rcs

Solace patio door is it the same as sunrise restorations?

#1 Post by Rcs »

As the title states...is the solace patio door the same exact one as the sunrise restorations?
The company I am dealing with wants to sell me the Solace. I never heard of this company/door and need to makes a final decision soon. Please help with this information. I would like to also know if Solace patio door has the same specs as the Sunrise Restorations. Thank you for your help. I love your website and have read it extensively. Also I am located in Michigan. If my dealer only offers the Solace is there anything extra I should add, such as triple pane glass etc or should I seek another dealer for the Sunrise Restorations?
Also my dealer is pushing the Marvin Infinity patio door saying it is better. The situation is that I am replacing the Infinity door after 10 years, it does leak like a sieve. However, I do not think it was installed properly back then and also I have had to have numerous repairs on that door. When they have come to fix it in the past years, the tech said they did not make it properly. I have 2 patio doors next to each other. The other one is an Infinity and has been fine for all of these years. The dealer states it will not look good to have 2 different doors because the profiles are different which I do realize. I live in a condo and do have to abide by their rules. I just want to have a really good door this time and no future worries. I know that installation is everything and I do trust this company for the installation. They are coming today to do measurements. I really need your help in deciding and need an answer today if possible! Will I be okay with the Infinity patio door???!!!
Last edited by Rcs on Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Solace patio door is it the same as sunrise restorations?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

I'm confused? Is the company specifying Sunrise windows and trying to sell another brand door, or are you just looking at door products? Doesn't appear to be much in the way of specifications data on that door from a Google search. Ask them for a CPD Number on it.

Rcs

#3 Post by Rcs »

Thank you WOW. The company is a Marvin dealer but also sells Sunrise and a few other brands. He just told me in an email that the Solace is the same as the Restorations, but is stating the Marvin Infinity is the better door.
What is the CPD number?? I saw on their website and did not know that they also sell Sunrise. I signed the contract for the Marvin Infinity because that is all that I thought that they dealt with. So now I can change my order for the Solace or continue wit the Infinity

Rcs

#4 Post by Rcs »

I agree also, I can not find specs on the Solace door. But in one of the posts on the forum one of the installers here stated that it is the same door as the Restorations, and made by Sunrise but sold through Owens Corning? Not sure how that works but it was in one of the posts here on the board.

Rcs

#5 Post by Rcs »

My dealer and installer is saying the Marvin Infinity is the better door. And since I already have another Infinity next to the one being replaced I should go with the Infinity so they could match. I live in a condo and do have to abide by the rules, I just want a good door. The current one I have is not good and leaks, but I think that was due to poor installation 10 years ago. The other Infinity I have works great no air infiltration or issues.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I certainly wouldn't mismatch a set of doors that are near each other as a general rule.

Rcs

#7 Post by Rcs »

Ok,..thank you for that opinion. So I guess my only option is to go with the Marvin Infinity :(
I would perhaps consider replacing the other patio door next year, financially I just can't do both at once.
So do you still think the Sunrise Restorations is a better door though as compared to the Marvin Infinity??
Thanks for you help..

Randy

#8 Post by Randy »

Marvin products are great, but they're not top of the line when it comes to efficiency or air/water tightness. Sunrise's patio door would outperform Marvin in these areas.

Rcs

#9 Post by Rcs »

Thanks Randy. I know you are correct in terms of what I read. Even though the Sunrise Restorations is a thinner profile door,...it still has better specs????

Perhaps I should just wait until I can get a dealer with the Sunrise Restorations patio door and not the Solace patio door which the dealer is offering me. Then as WoW stated I will have 2 different patio doors next to each other. I thought replacing 1 door would be better. I am not sure if they can fix this one. I really think it just needs better caulking and sealing,...but I don't know,...women do not know about these things LOL! That is why I am relying on you guys!!!
The reason why I am replacing this door is I had to replace my rim joist and the trim below both patio doors is bent. And since this one door is in poor condition anyway, I thought I would just replace it. Every winter I have to put a towel at the bottom of the fixed door because of air infiltration and frost at the bottom of the door.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#10 Post by masterext »

Did your dealer SPECIFICALLY say that Solace was actually a Sunrise product or just similar? That would be a big difference.

Rcs

#11 Post by Rcs »

Masterext,..I do not believe he said it was a Sunrise product,..Good Question! He said it was the same as the Sunrise Restorations. The way it happened was I was looking at their website and noticed that they sold Sunrise Products, which I only thought they sold Marvin. So I asked him specifically about the Restorations and he came back in his email with the Solace, which I never heard of. He only said it was the same as the Restorations.

They are quoting me for the Solace $3982 installed. For the Marvin Infinty $5473 installed. Quite a big difference!!!
But they may have to replace some of the wood in the frame if it is rotted. Now I don't know if that is included in the price. What do you guys think of that price quote???

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#12 Post by masterext »

u may want to ask who makes the Solace..

Rcs

#13 Post by Rcs »

Sunrise makes the Solace.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

RCS, looks like you found some old posts about the Solace brand. From what I can gather, its not an Owens Corning offering anymore, however it is still a "brand name" offered by Sunrise, just not nearly as common as the Restorations and other names discussed. The Solace Windows website clearly shows Sunrise products and uses the same address as Sunrise.

Regarding the door, now that we've confirmed the product, I'd say you have a little bit of a tricky situation.
1) You are correct and as other pros have stated, the Sunrise door is more air tight.
2) That being the case, appearance (matching) can be a concern as well.

The other factor of course is that you've already had an Infinity door and been dissatisfied. I will tell you that you are not alone. While I do believe that Marvin makes very nice windows and doors, energy efficiency and air tight assemblies are not their hallmark as Randy mentioned. Of those we've installed, we probably get draft complaints on more than half.
With that being said, if you have a plan to replace the other unit in the not-so-distant future, I'd opt for the Sunrise personally. The Infinity is a beautiful, well constructed door, but the Sunrise is as well, and you won't likely experience the same issues.

Rcs

#15 Post by Rcs »

Thank you so much Homestead for your detailed answer! The guy who measures came this afternoon. He was very honest and stated to me that the new Marvin Infinity doors do not have the same look as the older one that I have from 10 years ago. The bottom part that the door sits on the sill is different from the one I have now.
He is going to take apart the slider door or the whole frame and see what the problem is. I know for sure 10 years ago they did not use spray foam, only fiberglass insulation and they did not put Grace Vycor on the frame like they do today.
So I am going to have him fix it, if they can, he said he also needs to see if they can find parts for it before they do all of that. I will go through this winter and save my money for 2 of the Sunrise Restoration doors next spring or summer. However he did tell me in his opinion that the older Infinty doors are better than the newer ones. He also stated
he thought fiberglass is better than vinyl in the long run. I know with the posts I have read here that everyone likes vinyl. He just wants me to save money at this time and not pay out the $5370 for a new door which I appreciated very much. And also not actually having two mismatched Infinty doors. With the COVID as you know everything is backed up, service, manufacturing and installations. So I am going to save myself the grief and frustrations and just wait. I know they can install patio doors and windows in the winter, but I prefer if they can do it in good weather. I will just stick a towel at the bottom of the door like I always do every winter :lol:
Thank you again to all of you who took the time to respond to my delimma and questions. This board is an amazing resource! I am so happy to have found all of you!