Laminated vs Painted vinyl

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jdann

Laminated vs Painted vinyl

#1 Post by jdann »

I'm looking to do a dark exterior and was wondering what the pros/cons were for laminated and painted finishes?

HomeSealed

Re: Laminated vs Painted vinyl

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Both are proven options at this point in time with painted exterior being most common. If you are choosing between two products, I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor either way. There is a false narrative out there that painting vinyl is some sort of issue. Back before properly specified paint coatings existed there was some truth to that, but today its no less reliable than the paint on the exterior of a clad aluminum or fiberglass window in my experience.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I used to be in the anti-paint camp when it came to vinyl, but we have installs that are nearly 20 years old at this point that look as good as the day they went up. I am a believer.

newatthis

#4 Post by newatthis »

What should I look for in a paint that will hold up? I need to paint new white vinyl to match the upstairs dark wood trim. In North Carolina, so heat and humidity are major concerns.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

What kind of vinyl are you painting? A window? If so, the painting that is done to windows is a completely different process than what you can deploy at the home. That being said, Sherwin Williams does have a product that you can use to paint vinyl and is specifically designed for that substrate.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Are you painting the interior or the exterior?
Both require good adhesion, so proper selection there.
If the exterior you will need a paint that reflects the heat off the vinyl so it does not melt the vinyl with the solar heat gain.
How is the paint going to be cured?
Do not paint or gum up the weatherstripping.

newatthis

#7 Post by newatthis »

exterior window

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

As stated above, there are products out there for this specific purpose, but finding the product is the easy part. Both the prep work and nature of the painting are very tedious. I'd recommend a professional.