Quote in Rhode Island

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
padawan65

Quote in Rhode Island

#1 Post by padawan65 »

Hi all,

Seeking advice for replacing 7 windows in my 1920s bungalow. Figures include install with colonial grids 2/4 or 3/6.

All Provia Endure double hungs from a rep I really like--5900

Provia Endure double hung with 3 Marvin Essentials Fiberglass double hung, same rep 6600

2 Provia Casements, 5 Provia double hung,same rep 6300

2 Provia Casements, from my kitchen contractor, 2700

Zen Nirvana double hung, I believe they are Soft Lite Classics, but I can't get a confirmation of that from the rep, I really don't like the rep--5600

Windor, Soft Lite Imperial LS, 7 double hung, 7100
Windor, 2 Soft Lite Imperial casements, 5 double hung, 7600.

I like the Provia Windows cost/value ratio, concerned about Marvin Essentials air infiltration but love the look of the window.

I want to stop drafts and improve usability.
HELP.

Ricknez

Re: Quote in Rhode Island

#2 Post by Ricknez »

In this case the soft lite Imperial.

JonnySTL

#3 Post by JonnySTL »

I was in a similar situation last month, trying to decide between Provia Endures and some other leading manufacturers / quotes, including Zen Nirvana / Lotus, Polaris Ultraweld, and Sunrise Restorations. I agree, Provia seems to offer a lot of bang for the buck. I did end up going with the Endures, but they are not installed yet. I have 16 double-hung and 2 sliders going in and opted for the DLA-UV which really helped bring the SHGC down. We get some brutally hot & humid summers here in STL. Next closest options were $1500-$2500 on top of the $10,800 we finally settled at. Yeah, it's not exactly pocket change you're throwing around and start to wonder where the true law of diminishing returns starts to come into play.

padawan65

#4 Post by padawan65 »

It is not just the quality, it is the cost. At that number you are paying almost 200 dollars less than I am paying, more since I assume sliders are not cheap?

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I also would opt for the SL LS.
I would ask why a $500 premium for the 2 CA?

theWindowNerd

padawan65

#6 Post by padawan65 »

Thanks theWIndownerd for your reply. Based off the forum I went on the hunt for another company. I found an installer offering Soft Lite Imperial 7 dh for 5250. I think this will be the winning bid, if the casements seem to be in the right ballpark as well.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to the recommendations on the LS being the preferred choice here.

Regarding pricing, be careful about getting caught up comparing to someone else. Different market, possibly different installation style, different circumstances from one home to the next, possibly different option content, etc. Its very easy to have more that a couple hundred dollars difference based on a couple options alone.

The largest factor however in my experience is the dealer itself. Size, business model, overhead, etc. The quotes that you received are all in the normal range from a reputable installation company. The one at $600 is on the low end of what you'll find these days.