I feel like like in the last 5 days, I have learned more about windows than I have ever expected . My wife and I bought a townhome (Gaithersburg, MD) that still has the original wood windows and sliders (from 1989); market value of home around $500K. Trying to get an understanding on all of this and have been feverishly reading the millions of reviews and feedback across the internet for all things window-related. Our HOA has pre-negotiated some options with local companies, but we also reached to a few outside of their list.
- 11 - double-hung windows (2 of these in bay window)
- 1 - picture window (bay window)
- 2 - sliding glass doors
- 1 - one-story bay window capping
Installers we have contacted and/or received quotes:
1. Thompson Creek (HOA pre- negotiated) : $16,2XX
Notes: Did not seem to have good reviews online. No info on what products included in pre-negotiated pricing.
- Windows: $909-939/each
- Sliders: $2213/each
- Bay Window Capping: $610
Notes: Neighbors have used this company in past, and seemed pretty happy. Pretty good reviews for the installation company.
- Windows - Norandex Perfexion Platinum (Having a hard time finding info on these; Simonton 5500?): $525/each
- Sliders - Simonton Inovo: $2450/each
- Bay Window Capping: $950
Notes: Did not ask for additional information/quoting details. Seemed like they simply sub the work out (not a fan of.)
- Sliders - Soft-lite Kingsroyal: $3100/each
- Windows: Unsure
Notes: Probably the best quality option offered so far. Pretty good reviews for the installation company.
- Windows: Okna 800 or 500: $905-988/each
- Sliders: Okna 8800: $3150/each
- Bay Window Capping: $1600
We've narrowed it down to the Simonton and Okna installers. The Okna really seems like the best option available (in terms of window quality), but I'm just racking my head on if its worth the 50+% additional cost over the Simonton. Thoughts? Keep looking?