Window Replacement - South of Atlanta

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Sirty

Re: Window Replacement - South of Atlanta

#16 Post by Sirty »

That makes me feel much better, thank you for the very thorough and detailed response. I'll follow-up with any additional information I learn and what decision I end up making.

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

Happy to help... I see they mention the Verde on their website, you could see if they are willing to wheel and deal on that upgrade to get it done. Same base window, beefed up a little.

Sirty

#18 Post by Sirty »

Moving up to the Verde line adds $1,424 to the total cost bringing it to $16,275.20. The upgrades include reinforced sashes, full screens and Omega 12 glass (how much difference is there over the standard Passive U glass). He's also offering to throw in SolarClean glass if I upgrade to the Verde double hungs (DH).

The quotes have all been for DH. If I went with single hungs (SH) for the standard Sunrise or Verde, it would be $65 or $47 less per SH, respectively. Not sure I need DH as it's a single story home and all windows are easily accessible from the ground. Other than ease of cleaning from the inside, is there any other benefit to double hungs?

Sirty

#19 Post by Sirty »

Any thoughts on my last post re: Verde cost and SH vs DH?

Delaware Mike

#20 Post by Delaware Mike »

Last time that I did any series from the Sunrise lines in a SH verses the rest of the house in DH like for a garage, the SH has a different and totally flat exterior frame profile that isn't nearly as nice as with the DH extrusion profile. Keep that in mind.

HomeSealed

#21 Post by HomeSealed »

In theory you only lose the ability to tilt the top sash for cleaning, but most manufacturers cut costs on single hungs. I installed a lot of Sunrise windows, but I don't remember the single hungs at all. Based on DM's comments, it sounds like they may be a downgrade. Also keep in mind resale value. A single hung window in most cases shouts "cheap builder grade", even when that may not be the case.

As far as the Verde, I'd opt for it if its within your budget. The sash reinforcement is advisable on that window IMO. As far as the glass, what is the difference in U factor?

Sirty

#22 Post by Sirty »

Delaware Mike wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:23 am Last time that I did any series from the Sunrise lines in a SH verses the rest of the house in DH like for a garage, the SH has a different and totally flat exterior frame profile that isn't nearly as nice as with the DH extrusion profile. Keep that in mind.
Oh, this is very good info to have. Thank you for sharing!
HomeSealed wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:21 am In theory you only lose the ability to tilt the top sash for cleaning, but most manufacturers cut costs on single hungs. I installed a lot of Sunrise windows, but I don't remember the single hungs at all. Based on DM's comments, it sounds like they may be a downgrade. Also keep in mind resale value. A single hung window in most cases shouts "cheap builder grade", even when that may not be the case.

As far as the Verde, I'd opt for it if its within your budget. The sash reinforcement is advisable on that window IMO. As far as the glass, what is the difference in U factor?
I appreciate the insight on DHs possibly impacting resale value.

The U factor between the standard Passive U and Omega 12 glass is 0.30 and 0.28, respectively. SHGC between the two is 0.49 and 0.21.

HomeSealed

#23 Post by HomeSealed »

I didn't look up the climate stats, but I suspect that you probably cool your home as much (or more) than you heat it? If so, the Omega 12 is definitely a better choice. Not only is the U value a little better, but the SHGC is a big difference. That first package would be better suited for a northern climate where we actually want more solar heat.

Sirty

#24 Post by Sirty »

Correct, here in the Atlanta area, it can be pretty hot and humid from April - October and winter's are mild for the most part. I'd say we cool 60-70% of the time and heat the rest.

jason0876

#25 Post by jason0876 »

Can I ask what you ended up going with - and the company? I'm also in Atlanta and was looking at the Sunrise Essential brand from Davis Windows & Doors. However, now that the gentleman from HomeSealed was anti-Essentials, I'm having second thoughts.

I need 7 double hung windows -- all the same size approx 62x32". I got them down to my budget at $4200. For the "Restorations" version, they want around $6200. I wasn't really wanting to spend that much. However, I plan to be in the home for several years. I live on a busy road, so noise is a thing for me. Also, being in Atlanta, the heat, of course.

Not to crash your thread, but any thoughts?

HomeSealed

#26 Post by HomeSealed »

@jason, that is quite a jump from the Essentials to the Restorations, there are multiple models in between. The Essentials is the only window from Sunrise that is pretty much universally panned. If you can get them to quote you on the Sunrise base (next step up from Essentials and is the same "chassis" as the higher lines) that may get you closer to your budget and with a good window.... The only other thing I'd add is that $4200 for 7 good quality windows installed may not be realistic. $6200 for 7 Restorations is actually a pretty good price, but again, stepping down a model or two from their best should net you some savings.

Sirty

#27 Post by Sirty »

Hi Jason, good timing! I was going to update the thread today, as I just signed a contract last night. I went with EntryPoint, mentioned earlier in this thread, as they were the only ones offering Sunrise in my part of town. I contacted Davis and was impressed with them, but they didn't service my area.

I ended up going with the Verde series which is two steps up from the Essentials line and one step up from the base HomeSealed mentioned. I opted for the Omega 12 glass based on the recommendations here and from Sunrise directly. You may want to consider the same since our summers can be brutal. As part of the package, I was able to get SolarClean glass and OptiView screens tossed in the deal.

Since you live near a busy road, you may want to consider noise reduction glass, but it will certainly add to the cost. Given that you plan to be there several years, it may be worth the price and would be a selling point to a future buyer.

Sidebar: I want to say how thankful I am for this forum and all the advice they freely give. It puts the control back in the hands of the consumer through knowledge. Without the dedication of pros like HS, WOW and DM and the time they put in here, more of us would spend our hard earned money on subpar windows.

jason0876

#28 Post by jason0876 »

After reading this thread and some others, I started back at square one with the first company that sells Sunrise. Here is where I stand for the 7 double hung windows.

Essentials - $4200
Sunrise "sunrise" - $5800
Sunrise Restorations - $6200

I then reached out to Zen Windows today, because I heard good things about the SoftLite brand. They gave me a quote for the Nirvana line at $4550. Not bad at all. I need to read up more on that line. I thought the business model of Zen was a little wonky - no virtual appointments, no in person appointments, all online. I spoke to someone - the franchise owner - in Columbus, Ga which is nowhere near Atlanta. She said they sub-contract out the install. I know the install is a huge factor in having windows without issues.

I have a virtual appointment on Monday with another company in the metro Atlanta area that sells The SoftLite brand (Visonaire Windows).

I will also reach out to Entry Point at your recommendation.

Thanks for the help and support through this confusing time!

Jason

Windows on Washington

#29 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sirty wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:02 pm Sidebar: I want to say how thankful I am for this forum and all the advice they freely give. It puts the control back in the hands of the consumer through knowledge. Without the dedication of pros like HS, WOW and DM and the time they put in here, more of us would spend our hard earned money on subpar windows.
Thank you for the recognition and compliment. We do appreciate it.

Sirty

#30 Post by Sirty »

jason0876 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:53 pm After reading this thread and some others, I started back at square one with the first company that sells Sunrise. Here is where I stand for the 7 double hung windows.

Essentials - $4200
Sunrise "sunrise" - $5800
Sunrise Restorations - $6200

I then reached out to Zen Windows today, because I heard good things about the SoftLite brand. They gave me a quote for the Nirvana line at $4550. Not bad at all. I need to read up more on that line. I thought the business model of Zen was a little wonky - no virtual appointments, no in person appointments, all online. I spoke to someone - the franchise owner - in Columbus, Ga which is nowhere near Atlanta. She said they sub-contract out the install. I know the install is a huge factor in having windows without issues.

I have a virtual appointment on Monday with another company in the metro Atlanta area that sells The SoftLite brand (Visonaire Windows).

I will also reach out to Entry Point at your recommendation.

Thanks for the help and support through this confusing time!

Jason
Jason, I spoke with Zen as well. Do some research on Zen around here and you'll see that's likely not the way to go. I contacted Visionaire too and didn't get very far in the process with them since they also don't come to my part of town. I can't say much about them, but they were polite.
Thank you for the recognition and compliment. We do appreciate it.
Of course!