1960s? Window wall glass replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Scuderia01

1960s? Window wall glass replacement

#1 Post by Scuderia01 »

I have a large window wall in need of glass replacement. Glass is welded insulated which leads me to believe its somewhere between late 50s to 60s. Looking for information on how to possibly remove the wood frame within the wall. All (9) frames are the same, inside and out. If more photos are needed i can provide. Also, don't mind the mailbox it has been replaced.
Attachments
20210120_153923.jpg
20210120_153847.jpg
20210119_131353.jpg

toddinmn

Re: 1960s? Window wall glass replacement

#2 Post by toddinmn »

You want to remove the frame or just replace some glass? Glass should be replaced with units in place. The exterior stop looks like it would pry off . Might be to fit some insulated glass in that space.

Scuderia01

#3 Post by Scuderia01 »

The glass is pressure fit into the frame, I don't see how it can be replaced without taking the frame out of the larger unit

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

You are talking about removing the individual sash panels from the frame. It looks like they would push out toward the exterior, you could try a small prybar in there and see if you are able to move it outward. That or a mallet and a block of wood. I wouldn't try either of those on units where the glass isn't already broken though.

With that said, I also agree with Todd that the conventional method for replacing that glass would keep all panels in place. Typically there is an exterior glazing bead that pops off as he explained. In the event that is truly milled into the sash and not "removeable", the prescription would be to buzz that off with a multi-tool or tool of choice, replace the glass, and then add a new exterior stop in a similar profile to the material removed.

Another idea of course would be to scrap those old windows altogether and replace with new, energy efficient unit, but perhaps that is not in the cards for one reason or another.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I have never seen glass with the curved lip like you have. I thought I have seen it all , that is pretty cool even though I don’t understand the point.

Oberon

#6 Post by Oberon »

Todd,

Back before they used spacers to separate the lites in dual pane glass, they used to weld the two pieces together...i.e welded glass.

The glass was originally fabricated by either LoF or PPG. You can tell which company did it by looking at the weld. If I remember correctly, if the weld is on the center of the curve then the glass came from PPG, and if weld is offset to one side of the curve then the glass came from LoF.

Sometimes someone will claim that welded glass had a vacuum between the lites and that was why they welded the glass together, but that's wrong. I was once told that they injected nitrogen because if they used air between the lites oxygen would be a problem as they welded the glass together. But this was before my time, so i can't verify. But no vacuum, that's just a myth.

I had a couple of welded glass IG's on display in my shop for training and for the "coolness-factor" to show folks during tours and such. I also gave a couple of them to Cardinal IG's Product Development Lab in Minneapolis for their dog and pony shows as well. Curious if you have you ever seen the lab? It's on W Lake St, just off Louisiana in St Louis Park.

Scuderia,

Obviously you need to replace the broken one, and not sure if you were looking to replace the rest of them, but unless there is some overwhelming reason I would personally leave them alone. If they aren't actually broken then they are probably just fine where they are.

Scuderia01

#7 Post by Scuderia01 »

Thanks all. Yes the glass is in a channel in the sash so no exterior glazing bead to remove. I would have to remove and disassemble the sash to replace glass.

Oberon,
Yes the intent is to keep all the glass and just replace the broken section.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

This can be reglazed. It is currently boot glazed with a marine gasket. You either have to disassemble the sash and redo as was mfg or rout out the exterior drop the glass in/direct glaze and add exterior stop. I would choose the second option to get a little more glass thickness.
I only see the welded glass in old AW units, pretty sure that is not a AW unit.

theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Scuderia01 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:56 am I would have to remove and disassemble the sash to replace glass.
That is not your only option, and not even the way most pros would do it. I mentioned the method in my earlier post as did Window Nerd above. Cut the exterior side of the wood flush, replace the glass, add an ext stop