Great Lakes ComfortSmart vs Provia Endure

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
tatertot46

Great Lakes ComfortSmart vs Provia Endure

#1 Post by tatertot46 »

Hi!

I took a 3 quotes for vinyl replacement windows from very reputable HI companies in my area the last couple weeks.
Replacing original 1983 wood pella casements that are shot.

9 window openings, including 2 x Triple Casements that measure Exact Size: 85" x 70 5/8". Casements in sunroom will require tempered glass. left/right sash are operational, center sash is picture.

Company 1 - Sells/installs - Great Lakes ComfortSmart. $13,260 for all casements. $1200 less if I do double hungs, casements in sunroom. He says 'lifetime warranty and labor', though not sure about that. Warranty does not include glass breakage.

Company 2 - Sells/installs - Provia Endure - $13,120 for all casements. $1200 less if i do double hungs, except in sunroom. 50 yr warranty, 5 year labor. guy said that if a window breaks for any reason (baseball or what have you) it will be replaced.

Company 3 - Alliance Window Systems - Hawthorne Line - $12,115 - This guy actually quoted without temper glass and i had to email and check why the quote was so low. said it would be $300 more window unit for tempered glass. Could be honest mistake or could be a warning a sign. more than likely, i will be passing on this bid.

All 3 do not sub out and have their own installers. All 3 have been in biz in the area for 35+ years.

Company 1 and 2 both sell/install provia doors. I had company 1 install 2 fiberglass entry doors in December and they did a fine job.

I am leaning towards provia windows but i would love any and all input you have to offer.

Thanks!

tater

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

Re: Great Lakes ComfortSmart vs Provia Endure

#2 Post by masterext »

option 1 and 2 are pretty equal. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on glass breakage, most companies find a way to replace that free of charge regardless of whether its in the warranty.
option 3 is not an option in my opinion.
what state are you located?

tatertot46

#3 Post by tatertot46 »

Masterexe -

Im in IL on the Mississippi river.

Hot and humid summers and cold and snowy winters.

Thanks for the reply!

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would stick with who you have already had a good experience with, #1.

theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Good advice above. I wouldn't put options 1 and 2 in the top tier of performance (which may be able to be found for a similar price), but they aren't bad windows. Option 3 is not very good. As Window Nerd recommended, if you've already had a good experience with the company offering option one, this should be an easy solution. Similar product and price, but a known commodity as far as installation and service. That last factor is extraordinarily valuable in this industry and would make that choice better even at a larger price discrepancy.