Provia Endure vs Marvin Elevate?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jmon22

Provia Endure vs Marvin Elevate?

#1 Post by jmon22 »

Hey All!

I'm getting ready to replace all of the windows in my home with new construction style as I have easy access to the nailing fins via the outside trim. Buying from a distributor and DIYing the install. Trying to decide between high end vinyl (Provia Endure) and fiberglass/wood (Marvin Elevate). Mix of picture or casement windows. Price different is only about $110/window, so not terrible. I have about 30 total. Marvin should be a slightly easier install since I won't need jamb extensions as I am replacing old wood windows.

Any feedback on whether you prefer the vinyl or fiberglass option?

Windows on Washington

Re: Provia Endure vs Marvin Elevate?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Not sure the Endure would be "high end" vinyl. It is a good window, but there are others that I would put under that "high end" descriptor first.

Mostly depends on what aesthetic you are looking for in that comparison. If you are chasing performance, I would said neither. If you want a more organic feel, clearly the Elevate option.

jmon22

#3 Post by jmon22 »

Windows on Washington wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:58 am Not sure the Endure would be "high end" vinyl. It is a good window, but there are others that I would put under that "high end" descriptor first.

Mostly depends on what aesthetic you are looking for in that comparison. If you are chasing performance, I would said neither. If you want a more organic feel, clearly the Elevate option.
Let me rephrase.... high end compared to most vinyl windows available direct to consumer :). If they truly don't stack up with the better options then the Marvin may be even more of a no brainer then.

Performance is important but with casement and pictures either should be solid at worst. Certainly a big step up from my rotting 30 year old wood windows.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Really depends what your priorities are. A wood interior has a rich look and feel, but its still an organic surface that can and will deteriorate over time. Generally this type of comparison (wood variation vs vinyl) comes down to performance vs aesthetics, but the vinyl window in question along with the operator (casements and pw's) both mitigate that a bit.

Where are you located? Its possible that you could have a dealer/distributor that offers a higher end vinyl option. In this particular scenario, I think I'd actually opt for the Marvins. The cost of adding je's to the Provia will eat up or even exceed your savings, but then again, if that Marvin price doesn't include paint or stain already, that will bump it back up.

jmon22

#5 Post by jmon22 »

HomeSealed wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:15 am Really depends what your priorities are. A wood interior has a rich look and feel, but its still an organic surface that can and will deteriorate over time. Generally this type of comparison (wood variation vs vinyl) comes down to performance vs aesthetics, but the vinyl window in question along with the operator (casements and pw's) both mitigate that a bit.

Where are you located? Its possible that you could have a dealer/distributor that offers a higher end vinyl option. In this particular scenario, I think I'd actually opt for the Marvins. The cost of adding je's to the Provia will eat up or even exceed your savings, but then again, if that Marvin price doesn't include paint or stain already, that will bump it back up.
I'm in Ohio. That Marvin is completely finished, with my choice of color outside and white prefinished inside. The value of that option is particularly attractive to me along with the other things that you mentioned.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

If you are looking for a supremely energy efficient window, you could definitely find some better choices than these two in OH. With that said, if that aspect is not on the top of your priority list, I'd agree with your assessment. You could do much worse that the Elevate casement.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If it was DH I would steer you differently.
For your project the Elevate casements and pictures are a winner.
theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:55 pm If it was DH I would steer you differently.
For your project the Elevate casements and pictures are a winner.
theWindowNerd
Agreed.

jmon22

#9 Post by jmon22 »

Thank you all for your time and expertise!