Replace or wait?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Post Reply
Message
Author
djarchow
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm

Replace or wait?

#1 Post by djarchow »

I am finishing our basement and we have two 6'x4' vinyl sliders. I removed both of them last year to reinstall them the right way as the framers who installed them when we built the house never flashed them and the south one was leaking. Luckily I (properly) flashed all the other windows in the house myself when we framed; but I left the sliders to the framers as they were were installed later during construction. They had pretty much destroyed the nailing fin on the leaking window as they installed it with deck screws. So I pitched that window and replaced it with an Alliance Hawthorne from my friends lumber yard that is supplying me all the materials for the basement. Wish I had read your opinions here on Alliance before buying that one.

I reinstalled the other original slider, a Crestline VinylCrest from 2005. As I am trimming now I need to build extension jambs and a stool for that window. As I was measuring it I looked closely at the seals in the window and the bottom appears to have some cracks starting in the foam spacer. The sliding pane also seems to have some mold or dirt in one corner but I am not sure if it is actually in between the glass or the caulk has failed and it is between the vinyl and glass. I have never had condensation in between the panes. I am attaching a couple pictures. I apologize in advance, the window is filthy.

So I have a couple options:

Option 1 If you think seals are still OK and will last for a while. I can just leave the window and finish trimming that room and hope it lasts another 10+ years. This is the cheapest and quickest option.

Option 2 bite the bullet and replace the window. I would prefer not to spend the extra cash but I can. I am not crazy about ripping the window out as I flashed it with Huber liquid Zip flashing and that is a pain to remove from the window and the buck but I really would need to strip and recoat the edge of the buck to get it flat enough for the new nailing fin.

If I do replace the window, I can get another Alliance Hawthorne from my neighbor for $416. Both windows (in separate rooms) would match. I can get a Jeld Wen from Menards with similar specs to the Alliance for $389 and a Crestline again with similar specs for $277. U factors from .27-.29. Double pane, LowE Argon.

Your thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Regards, Dennis
Attachments
VinylCrest window2.jpg
VinylCrest window.jpg

User avatar
Windows on Washington
Posts: 4708
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:23 am
Location: DC Metropolitan Area-Maryland/Virginia/DC

Re: Replace or wait?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

16 years old?

Is that window manufacturer still in business?

djarchow
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm

Re: Replace or wait?

#3 Post by djarchow »

Yes Crestline is still in business. I am not sure if they are owned by Menards or Not. They seem to be the only ones selling them.

Oberon
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:25 am
Location: East of the Mississippi

Re: Replace or wait?

#4 Post by Oberon »

Is that window manufacturer still in business?

Crestline is part of the Weathershield group.

djarchow
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm

Re: Replace or wait?

#5 Post by djarchow »

FYI, I am not set on the brand options I mentioned previously. They were just the ones I had readily available through my yard and the box stores. We also have a local replacement window company (Window Source) that sells Great Lakes windows by PlyGem and they can get new construction versions. I have not talked to them yet to get a price.

Given that this window is in a deep egress well I am not concerned about things like passive solar rating etc. I just want decent construction, air infiltration, etc. if I have to replace the old window.

Thanks again for any recommendations.

User avatar
HomeSealed
Posts: 2591
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Madison, Northern IL

Re: Replace or wait?

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Get the air infiltration ratings on the units that you are considering. None of those that you mentioned is very good, but its good to have the rating for comparison

djarchow
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm

Re: Replace or wait?

#7 Post by djarchow »

Thanks. it looks like all of them are similar in ratings for a 6'x4' slider with lowE and argon

Jeld wen - U factor .3, I can't find air leakage (AL) for this one.
Alliance Hawthorne - U factor .3, AL < .3
Crestline - U factor .29, AL < .3
Great Lakes - A quick search only gave me a U factor of .3

I would still appreciate an opinion on the photos I posted above. Does it look like the current window seals are failing? The window is approaching 16 years old. I know it is hard to predict, but what is an average life for glass system in a vinyl window?

Again, thanks for everyone's help! I appreciate it very much

User avatar
HomeSealed
Posts: 2591
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Madison, Northern IL

Re: Replace or wait?

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Those ratings listed are the maximum allowable and not the actual rating. Anything over .2 is atrocious, over .1 is marginal (although sliders are typically the leakiest type of window so some good models are in the teens), and .05 or less is very good. The best are .03-.01.

As far as seal failure, is there fogging in the glass at all? That is typically the tell-tale sign. The crack that you see in the spacer is not conclusive of that. The mold/dirt is more likely on the outside of the glass between the glass and sash frame, but its hard to tell from the pic.

All that said, they are the epitome of "builder grade" windows so replacement should be in your future plans even if not immediate. If there is no fogging in the glass the seals are probably still in tact so that would make it less urgent. I would recommend some better options though, replacing an old builder grade window with a new builder grade window is rarely a winning proposition.

djarchow
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm

Re: Replace or wait?

#9 Post by djarchow »

HomeSealed,

Thanks for your advice. I appreciate it. I understand your sentiment on builder grade windows. The rest of the house has Marvin Integrity in it. I didn't want to spend the money for Marvin's in the basement when we built the house since the basement was unfinished. Do you have any suggestions for brands for a decent vinyl that are a reasonable value?

Thanks again!

User avatar
TheWindowNerd
Posts: 1924
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: SE PA & NJ; DFW/Metroplex

Re: Replace or wait?

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Okna, Sunrise, Softlite, Vytex

User avatar
HomeSealed
Posts: 2591
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:46 pm
Location: Milwaukee, Madison, Northern IL

Re: Replace or wait?

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Window Nerd's list, although I'd swap Vytex for Polaris in my region. You will want a mid to upper end model from each company, their entry level products are leave something to be desired.

djarchow
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm

Re: Replace or wait?

#12 Post by djarchow »

HomeSealed and Nerd,

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Have a great weekend.

Post Reply