Replacement Window Research

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TheBaker8

Re: Replacement Window Research

#16 Post by TheBaker8 »

SuburbanJarl,

I am also looking at having windows replaced in my home and am currently in the research/quotation gathering phase of the project. You mentioned that you are replacing 18 windows. If I may ask, what size windows are you having replaced? Are your quotes for insert windows or doing a full frame tear out installation? Lastly, where are you located?

Thanks,
TheBaker8

SuburbanJarl

#17 Post by SuburbanJarl »

We are comparing the Sunrise Restorations and Okna 600. Sadly the Okna quote missed some of the sashes for grids and their price will be just over $2k more expensive than the Sunrise Restorations. I know the Restorations were offered at the price of the normal Sunrise. I'm having a hard time justifying the $2k extra expense for a fairly comparable quality product. Any thoughts?

I'm in the Cleveland, Ohio area. My biggest downstairs windows are around 65"x35". The others are sizes of varying degrees below that. My quotes were for inserts.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

Well, as long as you are doing the comparison, the data (thermal and structural and air) on the Okna is a bit better. The restorations is a great window, but if we are talking about data comparisons, the Okna is the better performer.

HomeSealed

#19 Post by HomeSealed »

If these were casements, I'd say pocket the savings and go with the Restorations as its a great unit. The fact that these are double hungs though, and especially in that large size, I'd pay more for the Okna option. Sunrise is a nice window but extra large double hungs are a slight worry on the short list of concerns for that product. They definitely require some more TLC in the installation part at minimum.

SuburbanJarl

#20 Post by SuburbanJarl »

That's actually a great thought Homesealed. One of the concerns I had with the Sunrise are the issues with the lighter sashes that for some have sagged. I didn't realize my largest windows were considered large in the scope of things but that does raise my eyebrows to the above concern.

The Okna's got closer in price since for the upgraded bronze hardware it was $50 per window through the Sunrise Restorations dealer. That seems like quite the upcharge for very limited pieces of hardware (almost $1k in my case). I know I'm splitting hairs with these two windows so I appreciate every bit of data and info on them!

TheWindowNerd

#21 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Besides the actual product and the install/installer there is the current status of the MFG.
Right now I would stay away from Sunrise, IMHO.
theWindowNerd

SuburbanJarl

#22 Post by SuburbanJarl »

I haven't kicked up any dust yet on the state of Sunrise. Can you help inform me what is happening with them to cause concern?