Replacement Window Research

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
SuburbanJarl

Replacement Window Research

#1 Post by SuburbanJarl »

I have learned far more about windows in the last few weeks than I ever thought I would learn! I wanted to start out by thanking all of the pro's on this forum for their expertise in advance.

I currently have 18 windows, white exterior, wood interior, with grids, double hung, that are getting a bit drafty (being original to the house 1990). I believe we are leaning towards a full vinyl window with wood look interior. I was wondering if you had thoughts on some of the windows I have been looking at from a number of different companies.

1. Windcore - $9,000 (wasn't super impressed with the contractor or information provided)

2a. Interstate - $11,250 (Vinyl EZ Gold Series Double Pane 6800 series)
U-factor: .26
SHGC: .30
VT: .54
Air Infiltration: .03
Duralite Spacer
2b. Interstate - $17,100 (Composite EZ Platinum Composite DP
U-factor: .23
SHGC: .27
VT: .48
Air Infiltration: .03
Duralite Spacer

3. Polaris - $9,000 (didn't really give much information on what kind of Polaris or information. Having a hard time getting a response from this guy)

4a. Sunrise - $14,500 ***This guy seemed fairly knowledge and I seemed to gravitate towards him
Omega 12 Glass Package
Capped
Don't have the window specs offhand
4b. Sunrise Restorations - $15,940 (saying I can possibly get an upgrade for the normal Sunrise price)
Same features as normal

5. Okna 500, 600, 800 (appointment for this week)

6. Infinity by Marvin (still waiting on a quote after the meeting)
Fiberglass

7. Andersen and Pella - I have appointments setup but don't have high hopes that they'll offer me a package reasonable with what my pricing is for the project

Whew, I know that was a lot but I would love your thoughts on what I'm looking at. It seems like I have a lot of options in my area whether that be small 3 man operations and larger window companies.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Replacement Window Research

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Sunrise or Okna options are going to be the best performers of that group.
Save yourself the pain and time of meeting with RBA and Pella. They will not be a best choice anyway.

wayne

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Polaris makes some performers, but that price is sketchy as is the lack of service that you mentioned. The Sunrise options sound good, hopefully the Okna appt goes well. Infinity fiberglass is nice, but you are paying a lot for a window that doesn't perform all that well.

SuburbanJarl

#4 Post by SuburbanJarl »

Okna 600 came back at $16k but that only includes half screens. It would be around $650 for full screens. Is the Okna 600 worth an extra $1,500 to $2,000 over the Sunrise Restorations? I know Okna uses a warm edge spacer and Restorations use a stainless steel. Does that make much difference? Is one known for its performance and longevity over the other.

The Marvin quote was $40k and I nearly feinted.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

4b. Sunrise Restorations - $15,940 (saying I can possibly get an upgrade for the normal Sunrise price)
Same features as normal
Okna 600 came back at $16k but that only includes half screens
where do you get $2k difference?

Nonmetallic and stainless steel are both warm edge spacers.

In the current situation at Sunrise, though I do respect the product, I would give the nod to Okna, if the install expertise is equal.

SuburbanJarl

#6 Post by SuburbanJarl »

Is Marvin preaching to me that I will be replacing my vinyl in 15 to 20 years no matter what I go with, if it isn't their fiberglass, just their schtick?

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Would Marvin lie to you?

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

just their schtick? YES

Premium high performance vinyl will last as long as Marvin. The air tightness of the Okna or Sunrise is objectively so superior to the M DH that you can not believe it.

I told you to not meet with Marvin and Pella, to save yourself the time and pain of dealing with them. Please do not get me wrong I love, sell and install Marvin, AW, and Pella. They are usually for the wealth wood snob.

wayne theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why do you want full screens by the way?

For what its worth, the 600 series (in that vinyl comparison with the Restorations), will have a better Design Pressure and a lower air infiltration number.

The reality is that it is a stronger window by comparison and you can feel that in the handling of the two windows.

With regards to Marvin...Todd's comment summed it up perfectly.

Cyclone

#10 Post by Cyclone »

Windows on Washington wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 am Why do you want full screens by the way?
In my case, I want full screens because my cats enjoy perching on the sill at times. Is there a particular reason not to get full screens?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Good feedback above.

-The Restorations is good, the Okna 600 is has an edge in performance however and is stronger. If you like the Restorations contractor better then that may still be a winning option combined with a better price, but if you like the Okna installer as well or better than I'd say yes, a premium is justified. Even at that, the Okna pricing is very good and below average for that product.

-Yes, the Marvin talk is schtick...ish. What they say rings true about the majority of vinyl windows, where they lose it is saying ALL vinyl windows. The best products (including those that you are considering) will last at least as long and perform measurably better. We've actually replaced new Marvin Infinity windows with new vinyl due to excessive air leakage with great results.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

They can sit on the sill all day long. Just use the half screen. More daylight, easier to use, easier to remove. Just set the limit latches so they are less prone to want to crawl out on the sill.

SuburbanJarl

#13 Post by SuburbanJarl »

Windows on Washington, this is one of my wife's concerns due to the need to adjust the screen depending if we want the upper or lower window open. Isn't a half screen that you need to move up and down one extra thing that could fail? She is also the one pushing for wood look vinyl, adding an extra ~$3.5k on the Okna's. :? That's a tough pill to swallow but I guess if they can last 20+ years we should do them right.

I really liked the Okna dealer I talked to on the phone. He was very laid back, knowledgeable, and open to all questions. I also appreciate the fact that he didn't bash any competitors and admitted the Sunrise Restorations are similar to Okna 600 in performance. He even recommended I don't look at the Okna 800 because he doesn't think they offer the best value to performance. I'll keep you guys posted. We are having the Okna and Sunrise dealers to come out and show us their windows. Do you think not going into the showroom is much of an issue?

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sliding half screen has never been a "wear item" for us.

Good that he was honest and that speaks highly of the contractor that he is giving it to you straight. Showroom is fine, but most folks prefer folks to come by their homes either way.

SuburbanJarl

#15 Post by SuburbanJarl »

Thanks everyone. The Okna guy came out to show us an Okna 600 today and dropped the price to $15,100. So that's close enough to be considered with the Restorations. I'm just meeting with the Restorations guy this afternoon but we were really impressed with the vinyl cherry interior look of the Okna. Pair that with your high praise of the window and I might be all set!