Inserts or Full Replacement

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
SuburbanJarl

Inserts or Full Replacement

#1 Post by SuburbanJarl »

I'm in the process of researching getting new windows. These are original 30 year old wood double hung double pane windows. I haven't had any of the companies actually look at the shape of the windows themselves. However, the upstairs windows look rough to be with wood chipping off and some rot. Plus there seems to be deformity and chips on the white portion of the windows. Based on the pictures, can you give any indication on if inserts would suffice or should I be digging into full replacements?
Attachments
20210414_114838.jpg

toddinmn

Re: Inserts or Full Replacement

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Inserts would work well.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Nothing in those pics to say that full tearouts would be needed, but certainly a more in depth inspection would be advisable.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Either will work.

There are pluses and minus to both methods. For many the budget is crucial: lets say a high performance white vinyl insert replacement window is $800 supplied and installed. The same window specs in a full frame install adds $300 per window with standard primed only casing.
If that is not a decision clincher then let me know and I will share the rest of the plus and minus.
You can always hire me as a consultant or one of the other pros.
theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Another vote for inserts out of me.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

If you're doing new siding along with the windows, I'd do full-frame flanged new construction. If not, just replacement inserts. Those look like random Andersen knock-off narrow frame wood/PVC clad builder's grade windows. The exterior frame is very "narrowline" profiled with loosely fit vinyl clad over the wood frames. We find that this cladding isn't glued onto the wood very well and this kind of window has a compression jamb balance system for tilting the sashes to clean or service. These are easy as it gets for us pros.