Vinyl Window Colors

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
TheBaker8

Vinyl Window Colors

#1 Post by TheBaker8 »

Hi Everyone,
I just recently joined this forum and have been very impressed with the amount of good information and experience within. I am looking at replacing the windows in my 70s vintage home and have been researching replacement windows.

When it comes to color, it seems most windows are available in only one to maybe three colors where the color is actually the "base" color of the vinyl. Color options above and beyond the one to three base colors is applied on the surface of the vinyl via a painting process of some type. Am I understanding the color situation correctly and does this sound right to all of you? Further, it seems the "base" color options are usually white and some type of lighter color like almond or tan or sandstone.

Is anyone aware of any vinyl window that offers a darker color as a "base" color within the vinyl? I am a bit concerned that a darker colored surface coating/paint would have some disadvantages to a base color. I'm thinking scratches or damage to the surface coating. Not to mention the price premium for the additional color options (surface coating/pain) is several hundred dollars per window. Does my concern with a surface coating/paint have merit or has my paranoia gone a bit to far?

Any advice or info you could share is a appreciated.

Thanks,

TheBaker8

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl Window Colors

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. Color is a premium and does add to the manufacturing.
2. There are usually a beige and cocoa in there from most folks.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

" paranoia gone a bit to far", self diagnose is a good thing.
But to confirm, yes.
Vinyl is easier to chip the paint off of, Marvins fiberglass is one great finish.
theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

We've installed thousands of painted exterior vinyl windows over the years will great results. Certainly something impacting a window frame could nick the paint, but it would likely nick unpainted vinyl if the same color as well, and nick other painted surfaces. The great thing about a nick in paint is that it can be easily touched up. I'd definitely choose the product and color that you like and give those a bit more weight that the paint coating. I'd agree with the sentiments above about the kynar finish on Marvin's being very good, but I'd prefer a window that leaks less air.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yup, me too.