Additional Window Brand Options

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MACC

Additional Window Brand Options

#1 Post by MACC »

All,

You guys have been a great help in the past and I really appreciate the information you provide. I am familiar with the vinyl options from Okna, Softlite, and Sunrise. In fact, I have some nice Okna 600 windows in my home presently after consulting on the forum.

However, I was wondering what other brand's lines with still broad availability you guys would recommend if looking outside those above. Say, the next 3 highest quality in your opinion, and do any of these qualify on just a certain window type such as DH, slider, casement?

I see some brands mentioned on the forum as respectable. Yet, I was hoping to avoid looking at everything on the market and narrowing in on say the "next best three". Thanks again for your thoughts.

Best,

Mac

HomeSealed

Re: Additional Window Brand Options

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

There are other good windows out there, there are more qualifiers however as you work your way down that list. Polaris makes some nice windows and Vytex is generally well reviewed where its available.

Are you planning to replace more windows in the same home? If so, sticking with the same window used previously would be advisable.

MACC

#3 Post by MACC »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pmAre you planning to replace more windows in the same home? If so, sticking with the same window used previously would be advisable.
No. This is for a different property. Just curious as to what you guys think would be the next best if one wasn't using the typical recommendations. Just like some brands only have regional availability, one can be limited in installer options when looking at the primary three. I like to plan for all contingencies, explore additional optionss, and have some flexibility if needed.

Best,

Mac

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Well, Brando shared two with you, that should be enough.
Why don't you tell us what your qualifiers are? cost, energy efficiency , looks, accessibility, durability. At what levels for each, and do you determine?

Is the project a flip, your home, or a long term investment?

theWindowNerd

MACC

#5 Post by MACC »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:20 pm Well, Brando shared two with you, that should be enough.
Why don't you tell us what your qualifiers are? cost, energy efficiency , looks, accessibility, durability. At what levels for each, and do you determine?

Is the project a flip, your home, or a long term investment?

theWindowNerd
Thanks. This is just the only 2 windows in a condo I will be fixing for our parents. Thus, durability and respectable energy efficiency over life span are the primary concerns. It's replacing original aluminum horizontal sliders with brick exterior construction and no time constraints. These were never intended to be an architectural feature so great looks aren't a priority. I don't mind the expense, and I really like Okna 500/600 for DH and Sunrise for casements/doors. I have no real experience with sliders except for reading here that they usually have higher AI numbers than DH/casements.

However, in my market I'll just say I am still trying to find the right installer and/or one that is interested in such a small job, especially in current environment. Thus, I thought it would be helpful to expand the search to possibly find something that might still be acceptable for the job and increase my chances of completion with a product I can feel good about.

It seems Provia is pretty prevalent in my area, and they do have a standard color set-up for this job. However, I have no experience with their product. I'll add the Vytex Potomac and the Polaris Ultraweld to the list and check availability. If there are any others you guys think are in this next tier, please let me know. I really appreciate your insight.

Best,

Mac

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would expect that you will have to pay what I refer to as a low volume premium.
I would suggest you stick with the Okna525DX 2 section slider.
You need to pull the trigger and then wait 3 months.
wayne