Softlite vs Okna vs Provia Windows

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
snook700

Softlite vs Okna vs Provia Windows

#1 Post by snook700 »

Looking to replace 3 sliders (two double, one triple), and 14 double hung. We plan to be in the house at least 5 years, but probably no more than 15 years. All installers have high ratings and do not use subcontractors. Here are my quotes. On the Softlite, I do not have a quote for double hung.

ProVia Endure double pane $14.2k
.05 cfm air infiltration
.23 u
.20 solar
.42 VT

Softlite Elements triple pane - $17.3k
.01 cfm air infiltration
.16 u (.26 double pane)
.18 solar (.20 double pane)
.37 VT (.46 double pane)

Okna 600DX – double pane $16.9k
.02 cfm air infiltration
.26 u
.30 solar
.54 VT

For the price, I think the Provia would be fine but I understand it is not the same quality as the other two. Would like to have some pro opinions here please.

Windows on Washington

Re: Softlite vs Okna vs Provia Windows

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

In that comparison...Elements all the way. Really good window and that is a great deal on that set of options (i.e. triple pane).

For what it's worth, the idea of not using subcontractors is of ZERO value in my book by the way. Best installers I have ever had, are subs.

snook700

#3 Post by snook700 »

Thank you. I really like the Element window but is triple pane of much benefit in the Midwest? Also, the Provia quote was missing a window, so it went up to $14.8k.

Interesting on your experience with subs. We had a patio door installed by Lowes which was subbed out. The guy broke some of my wood floor planks pulling out the existing door. Lowes covered the damage. For windows, not going the Big Box route.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Two horse race here with a couple of great options between the Elements and Okna. I'd agree that the Elements with triple pane does appear to be the better value as presented due to the triple vs double pane, but you are in a position that you may be able to negotiate either way and get a similar price. With that in mind, how do you feel about the two install companies? Similar ratings? How long in business? Which seemed more trustworthy to you? The products and prices are close enough that if one of the install companies has an edge in your mind, that could be a deciding factor... On product in a vacuum, I like the Okna option for the fact that the performance and strength are very close but it has a bit more glass area and cleaner lines, but that is when apples to apples glass is used. If you happened to like that dealer better and they were able to get close on price with triple pane, that would be compelling. If they won't budge and/or you like the softlite dealer better, then that may very well be the right choice.

As far as triple pane's effectiveness in the midwest, it depends on exactly where in the midwest you are located. Up in my neck of the woods its highly advisable, but not quite as important at the southern tip of IL or St Louis

I agree with WoW on installers as well. Companies with a great reputation for quality are going to vet their installers and pay them well regardless of how Uncle Sam gets his cut. The box store model is a bit different, they think that just because they have a big name they can pay less, but in the end, the installers they get match what they pay. Same goes for "bargain" business model type companies.

snook700

#5 Post by snook700 »

Well, Provia and Okana have come made changes on the quote as they were not considering all of the same windows. The quotes are now:

ProVia Endure double pane $14.8k

Softlite Elements triple pane - $17.3k The double pane offering is not insulated and I am not considering it.

Okna 600DX – double pane $15.0k. They are including an eyebrow window that the other two reps do not think will have to be replaced. This eyebrow sits 4 inches above 2 casement windows that I plan to convert to a double slider. The estimate on the eyebrow is about $1300 which would drive Provia and Softlite quotes up should they have to be replaced when the final measurement is made.

I am in Central Indiana so triple pane is not highly recommended but it is not discouraged either.

All three installers have high customer ratings. The Okna rep did his quote via text based upon home pics I sent to him. The other two came to the house so I could see the demo window.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like an easy choice for the Okna at that price and especially if that includes and eyebrow window that Softlite does not. If you upgrade to triple pane and remove the eyebrow to make the comparison truly apples to apples I suspect that the Okna will still offer some savings. That said, it would be worthwhile to do that so you can truly compare apples to apples.

The provia is not in the same category as these two windows, waste of time imo.

snook700

#7 Post by snook700 »

Thank you. We considered Provia as we are also replacing our entry door and I understand they make a good one. Was hoping to package the 2 projects to get a better deal.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

Provia makes a decent door. Their windows are not on the level of those other two.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

What type of entry door are the Okna and Softlite dealers offering?

Provia does make nice entry and storm doors. Windows are a different animal... I do agree with the thought of getting the windows and doors from the same installation company, get a better deal and only have to deal with one group. That thought process doesn't really apply to the manufacturer part though in this case. Most companies make windows and sliding doors or they make entry and storm doors. Few make both as again, much different in nature.

snook700

#10 Post by snook700 »

The Okna dealer sells mostly Therma Tru doors I found out today, but have not learned the offering from the Softlite dealer.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

While I like Provia better than Thermatru, the delta between those two doors is less than it is between the Okna and Provia windows IMO. I'd choose the Okna/TT combo all day every day over Provia for both... You could also ask the Okna dealer (and SL dealer as well) if they can offer the Provia door instead of TT. Its a very widely available product, I'm sure that they can get it, just a matter of if they want to.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

TT depend on the fabricator which is regional. If you have a good fabricator and know how to spec the product correctly it is a very good system. Then of course there is the install. Doors are harder to install than windows. Most subs hate doors because of the low pay for a door when they can make twice as much doing windows.

snook700

#13 Post by snook700 »

Well, the TT door was quoted at $12k with a triple lock (8' foot door) while Provia is under $7k. Not sure why the huge difference. The Provia installer had told me he would do the door without the windows, while the Okna dealer wanted the windows to do the door. I am going with the Okna window and the Provia door. I appreciate all of the feedback as it was a huge help.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Post an update after its done.

snook700

#15 Post by snook700 »

Will do. Quote time for windows is 10-12 weeks.