Window comparisons

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Extenny22

Window comparisons

#1 Post by Extenny22 »

Hi, looking for some feedback here. I’ve spoken to a few companies and think I am done with the quote stage.
Have a 1926 English Tudor in MN and are replacing 4 double casement windows in the sunroom off the side of the house. We would be replacing Marvin wood casement windows that are from 1991 and the windows, sill and exterior trim are in bad shape.
I’ve received the quotes below and questioning whether or not upgrading to Marvin given the price difference makes any sense.
The double hung windows on the main floor are the originals and the double hung windows on the 2nd floor are wood Marvin windows replaced in 91.

Lindsay pinnacle- full frame replacement keeping interior trim in tact $9k

Marvin essentials- full frame replacement keeping interior trim in tact $14k

Marvin ultimate- full frame replacement keeping interior trim in tact $16,500

Sunrise- unsure of line $10,600 however this quote only seems to be for insert replacement and can’t really seem to get a quote for full frame other than them saying rotted wood etc is replaced at $95 per man hour of labor.

Any feedback/insight would be appreciated

Windows on Washington

Re: Window comparisons

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

That is a really good price on the Ultimates to be honest.

Its the prettiest and most elegant of the 4 there. The Sunrise is the leader in the clubhouse for performance.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The Ultimate and Sunrise are both very good but for different reasons. I'd suggest working through your priorities for the project to see whether wood or vinyl windows better fit what you are looking for. The former has unmatched richness, the latter is the performance choice.

Extenny22

#4 Post by Extenny22 »

Thank you both for the information and replies. I’m leaning towards the Marvin Ultimates as the quote just seems more robust and to include everything. One quote basically says that they will do everything and keep interior trim in tact and the other just seems to say they will install windows.

In regards to the interior trim the company is just saying they would prefer to keep it in place as we have plaster walls and removing it can be a pain.

Is there something I am missing? Is a full replacement possible while leaving interior trim in tact? Should I just assume that any quote for new windows assumes they will replace the rotted sill/trim, wrap and insulate everything and make sure everything is structurally sound and in good shape?

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

It is possible , but the details can always vary on what there gonna replace and how they are going to do it. They should be able explain exactly what there gonna do and how there gonna do it so you can understand. I wouldn’t assume anything . I think the biggest thing for you is gonna be the visual appearance inside and out. With any wood window I would want to make sure the cost includes that they are prefinished and the job is turn key. Installing a window and leaving the interior trim in house of your year requires a bit more expertise than an insert or new construction installation.

Extenny22

#6 Post by Extenny22 »

Anyone have any experience/opinion on Lindsay Pinnacle windows? A couple contractors provided those as their first quote not sure if it is just because they are the lowest price point. Ratings seem good and they have a lifetime warranty, maybe just not the best looking windows??

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

It’s been a while since I have seen there double hungs, and have never seen there windows. Off memory I’d say it’s an average window. There logistics seem to be in disarray, this is pre-covid btw. If you want a Mn based company Richlin has a couple of nice lines, Soft-Lite , Sunrise and Polaris are also available, but Sunrise probably has the nicest looking casement. Every vinyl window has some sort of life “life time” warranty.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. Last time I checked Lindsay uses the same "chassis" as several other window manufacturers including Provia and some others. Its a very limiting way to build a window IMO, difficult to make improvements, etc. I've heard the same as Todd regarding operations as well, but I've not experienced any of that first hand.

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Leaving the trim up and backing-butting the new units into the trim is possible and as Todd mentioned is a much higher level of expertise. You have to reverse engineer measurments to the ID of the interior casing.
Your existing most likely have brick moulding or flat casing that overlaps-extends past the FS.
The new units will not have that, which is good so they can shim and foam from the exterior.
The Elevate is a good casement. Have you seen both in person?

theWindowNerd

Extenny22

#10 Post by Extenny22 »

Thank you everybody for your input/advice. I’m now looking at about $18k as company said there was a price increase from the supplier and I added grids.

Does this seem like a fair price? I had a phone call with another company and they mentioned about $20k. For reference four double casement windows that are 48x62.

I would prefer to use this company as they have broken down everything and consulted with their experienced installer and he confirmed he can do essentially a full frame replacement and keep the interior trim in tact.

Getting cold feet a little as this is double the price of the Lindsay pinnacle quote from the same company.

Haven’t had much luck with the sunrise installer quoting anything other than a pocket replacement so I am going to shelf those for now I think.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

For full frame Marvin Ultimates that doesn't sound out of line at all.

uncle eddie

#12 Post by uncle eddie »

I wouldn't put full frames in an old home like that unless the original window frames are already gone. Even then, you are asking for trouble with that installation leaving trim in place.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

I th he contractor has the experience it is a good way to go. The details are everything and precise measurements are key.

Extenny22

#14 Post by Extenny22 »

I know little to nothing about windows but Guessing these aren’t the original frames as windows were replaced in 91. All exterior wood trim will be replaced and wrapped. Installer says he does these often so would like to take him at his word. Maybe an easier stucco instal given the trim and that windows doesn’t go all the way to the stucco? Pics attached, you can see these are in pretty rough shape.

Extenny22

#15 Post by Extenny22 »

1E540614-CB24-4A82-B52D-F0F3749D1D06.jpeg
2FE0408A-46F9-4A0C-931F-03FA0A5622D4.jpeg
4071E14A-C204-45A9-8C4D-66E857935411.jpeg