Replacement Window Newbie feeling lost

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MoneyPit21

Replacement Window Newbie feeling lost

#1 Post by MoneyPit21 »

First time poster here. Feeling lost in the maze of window replacements. Could use some insight.
Our home in Chicago suburbs is 20 years old.
Many (although not all) windows are starting to show some serious wear; manufacturer no longer in business (R-O-W). Realizing we may not have the budget to replace with another full set of wood windows, we received a quote and are feeling some sticker shock, and interested in your thoughts on a quote from Pella 250 series.
Also note - we’re empty nesters, so who knows how long we’ll stay here...could be many years, or maybe not...we have options! Want to protect our investment either way, and do the right thing.

Not sure how much detail you need to give a reaction - Double hung windows - in the range of 30 total along with a few other odd sizes (narrow above shower in bath). Some with grilles, some without. Price came back at $50k. Appreciate any insight. TIA.

Delaware Mike

Re: Replacement Window Newbie feeling lost

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not a fan of Pella vinyl. You can do much better.

MoneyPit21

#3 Post by MoneyPit21 »

Thanks - I’m going to shop around - my instinct says the same. Appreciate any other recommendations / brands you might suggest.

Randy

#4 Post by Randy »

For vinyl windows, Soft-lite, Okna or Sunrise would be good options.

MoneyPit21

#5 Post by MoneyPit21 »

Thank you - will add these to my list.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#6 Post by masterext »

Are you in the northern suburbs? If so, I would contact Homesealed Exteriors. Not only do they offer a very nice looking window, its amongst the most efficient in the industry. The owner Brandon is an extremely nice guy.. I would contact them at the very least and see if they serve your area. They offer Okna I believe.

Oberon

#7 Post by Oberon »

I second the recommendation to talk with Brandon.