Soft-Lite Elements vs. Renewal by Anderson

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
uncle eddie

Re: Soft-Lite Elements vs. Renewal by Anderson

#16 Post by uncle eddie »

Elements
Sunrise
Renewal
Walsh
Cow poop
Horse poop
Dog poop
Zen

In that order. Just my opinion.

toddinmn

#17 Post by toddinmn »

Replies like that Makes one wonder why a home owner would come to a board such as this for advice.

Windows on Washington

#18 Post by Windows on Washington »

If we are really going to start looking critically at replies, we should look at replies after happy hour.

toddinmn

#19 Post by toddinmn »

Don’t see the logic but I’m all for it.

JasonDalMN

#20 Post by JasonDalMN »

Isn't everything supposed to be easier after a good happier hour, including sharing hot takes and unpopular, unhelpful opinions? ;)

I made a final decision and went with the company that installs the Elements windows. Turns out that the Elements estimate was high, because he ended up coming down much closer to the Zen/Soft-Lite Pro estimate, therefore justifying the higher price for what is, as I think everyone's acknowledged, the best of the choices I had.

So, all in, with 15 double-hung, (3 tempered glass), 1 slider, and 1 large picture window, the total was $24k. The Zen estimate was at minimum $18k before the rep even came out to take a look to confirm anything.

Thanks for all the help and input - as a newbie with pretty much zero knowledge of the products or process, this thread, with a small exception, has been extremely helpful.

Windows on Washington

#21 Post by Windows on Washington »

Great update.

Keep us posted on the progress and you landed on a great window.

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

Sounds like a win to me. You easily got the best product of the group, and the extra savings are a bonus.

uncle eddie

#23 Post by uncle eddie »

toddinmn wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:37 pm Replies like that Makes one wonder why a home owner would come to a board such as this for advice.
Why is that? Was my opinion unclear? Or did I simply offend your delicate sensibilities with the comparison?
As you can tell, I'm not high on Zen or their window. I think that my opinion is more valuable to homeowners than wasting a post criticizing it such as yours, but what do I know.
Jason, great window choice. You got a good one, you'll be very happy with that choice.

toddinmn

#24 Post by toddinmn »

This is why ;
For one, your list is comparing windows and I would place the Lotus in the number 2 slot but I have no problem with those that would put the Sunrise there then the Walsh in 4th. I would put horse poop ahead of cow poop then dog, but that would depend on the use you are grading it upon. My guess is you are not familiar at all with the Walsh window due to its small foot print in the industry.
If you were perhaps grading the companies doing the installation that would be hard to do Since only one is known. I doubt you are familiar with Steve’s work and the fact that Walsh is easily obtainable by most anyone .

uncle eddie

#25 Post by uncle eddie »

toddinmn wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:45 pm This is why ;
For one, your list is comparing windows and I would place the Lotus in the number 2 slot but I have no problem with those that would put the Sunrise there then the Walsh in 4th. I would put horse poop ahead of cow poop then dog, but that would depend on the use you are grading it upon. My guess is you are not familiar at all with the Walsh window due to its small foot print in the industry.
If you were perhaps grading the companies doing the installation that would be hard to do Since only one is known. I doubt you are familiar with Steve’s work and the fact that Walsh is easily obtainable by most anyone .
I'd wager that you are in the significant minority putting the lotus/pro that high. Its a dinosaur. The 80's called and they want their window back. I've had more service issues on that window when I installed it than any other besides the Excalibur. I've also replaced them installed by other contractors on several occasions, and lastly, that "private label" is probably the worst case scenario for installing a window that is already suspect. I'd prefer all varieties of poop over that window. A nice crusty dog turd would certainly be less prone to warpage and more structurally sound.
On the Walsh window, its 2021, a little thing called the internet gives a pretty good picture. I see some things I like, some things I don't. Looks like more of a pretender than a contender to me, but you are right that I don't know Steve. Not sure if I should? I know a guy named Steve, but I'm thinking its not the same Steve that you know. I'm pretty sure that the Steve I know is better than the Steve that you know.
You do make a compelling argument about slotting in horse poop over cow poop, I might have to consider that.

toddinmn

#26 Post by toddinmn »

I’ll stand by my order , but as I said I can see some switching the 2 and 3 spot. Even your prior replies would support my order. The Pro May be old but was clearly ahead of its time and is still better most. Window tech moves slowly and often not forward. Even the Element is getting old and it’s casements are the same window as the all the lower lines. I have installed many Soft-Lites and have only had minor and very few call backs. Not sure why you’d back the Element when your Soft-Lite experience was so bad. Zen also “private labels” a version of the Element so by your theory the Element/ LS platform is also junk or should we say “poop”?

Windows on Washington

#27 Post by Windows on Washington »

"Poop" is such a good word. Underused in my opinion.

uncle eddie

#28 Post by uncle eddie »

toddinmn wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 2:20 am I’ll stand by my order , but as I said I can see some switching the 2 and 3 spot. Even your prior replies would support my order. The Pro May be old but was clearly ahead of its time and is still better most. Window tech moves slowly and often not forward. Even the Element is getting old and it’s casements are the same window as the all the lower lines. I have installed many Soft-Lites and have only had minor and very few call backs. Not sure why you’d back the Element when your Soft-Lite experience was so bad. Zen also “private labels” a version of the Element so by your theory the Element/ LS platform is also junk or should we say “poop”?
I stand by my order as well, and mine is better and more accurate.
The Pro was ahead of its time much like Boy George, but neither are very relevant these days.
My theory does not say that the Elements/LS platform is poop. I think its very good. The Pro and Classic are not. That is a pretty clear statement. My overall experience with Softite has been mixed, but I call them like I see them when it comes to the windows. What is the zen name for the elements? I haven't run across them selling that. I'm surprised that Solftite would give them that window, takes them down a peg in my mind. Good window, but I'd rather see it installed by a company whose structure doesn't resemble a Bernie Madoff investment program.

Ricknez

#29 Post by Ricknez »

Good ole uncle eddie speaks the truth. His boy george example was absolutely brilliant although I would of used Mr. T.
I wouldnt say Im ready to have uncle eddie baby sit my kids yet but i do wish he would come around more often, the dude is a breath of fresh air.

toddinmn

#30 Post by toddinmn »

Going by your previous Replies in this forum your list would be different. You can search the other Pro’s replies on the Pro or your own . To compare the window industry to the music industry is simply idiotic . Comparing the Zen franchise set up to Bernies scheme is equally idiotic. The reality is many/most companies are on a pyramid and if your not at the top your doing it wrong. I am not a Zen fan myself ,if I am going to attack them I’ll back it with proof , personal experiences or a more detailed personal experience.