recommendations for fixing leaky replacement window?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
jason_t

recommendations for fixing leaky replacement window?

#1 Post by jason_t »

Hello,

My replacement picture window was just installed. It was a 2 part installation; the first window installed had the wrong glass so the second phase of install was a glass replacement only. So now I've got 2 new stacked picture windows; Marvin (Essential or Infinity, I forget which one).

We received some pretty strong rain here in the past week. With that rain, we've found that the windows are leaking water pretty severely. The water we can see is coming in through the horizontal bar where the 2 new windows meet. There are some mounting holes on the bottom side of the bar and they drip or run water. We've caught roughly 1 - 5 gallons of water from those holes on each rain.

Just today we've discovered there's also water coming in that we can't see. The drywall is moist and we can see signs of water damage around the caulk/drywall/trim.

Its impossible to know where the water's coming from. Its likely either where the frame meets the brick exterior, or the seams where the replacement glass was installed into the frame.

What is the "proper" fix for this leaking? I fully expect the window company to show up with a bottle of silicone, silicone all the seams, and be done with it. Is that the right fix, or should something more substantial be done?

Thanks in advance,
Jason

Windows on Washington

Re: recommendations for fixing leaky replacement window?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can you take some pictures of the windows and installation. Sounds like there is a whole lot wrong here.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1.
Likely an issue with flashing over the unit or at the mull interface, but pics would definitely help.

jason_t

#4 Post by jason_t »

Here's a couple of pictures.

I certainly don't expect you guys to be able to point me right to the problem, just wondering if you have any recommendations for what process to follow to try to get it fixed. Do I have the window installer just keep siliconing until the visible leaks are gone? Should something be removed and re-installed?

I have both visible leaks (through the mounting holes in the bar between the 2 windows) and invisible leaks (down behind the drywall on both sides). I can certainly tell when the visible leaks have been remedied, but my concern is those go away yet the invisible leaks persist
Attachments
IMG_2257.jpg
IMG_2257.jpg (82.76 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
IMG_2258.jpg
IMG_2258.jpg (72.52 KiB) Viewed 4909 times
IMG_2259.jpg
IMG_2259.jpg (75.44 KiB) Viewed 4909 times

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

1. I detest "H" mullions.
2. Where is the water showing?
3. Where are the weep holes?

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

Looks like they caulked The sash to the mull and maybe covered weep holes? Did they also caulk the glass to sash, can’t quite tell. The white caulk between the frame and brick looks horrible.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:25 am Looks like they caulked The sash to the mull and maybe covered weep holes? Did they also caulk the glass to sash, can’t quite tell. The white caulk between the frame and brick looks horrible.
I was going to say the same about the white caulk. We can't fully diagnose this from a computer screen, but there are some signs here of an amateur hour type install.

uncle eddie

#8 Post by uncle eddie »

I don't think that the glass replacement is the issue, it looks like the mullion where the windows meet is the issue. Was that installed like that from the get-go?