Replacing windows in Chicago area - Brand & Installer reviews

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
davek

Replacing windows in Chicago area - Brand & Installer reviews

#1 Post by davek »

Hi All,

I started getting quotes to replace all the windows on the first floor of our house. Most of them are pretty large, multi panel casement with transoms at the top. House was built early 90's and current windows are original and in rough shape. House faces south.

Looking at mid to mid high end vinyl as this should be our forever home. Some of the brands the installers have been selling at Provia, Midway, KHPP. In 2018 had a sliding door replaced with Sunrise Restoration. We like it, I know it's pricey but the installer is not being communicative and seems to have gone through some management changes.

Any reviews on those brands? What about installers in the area? What else to look for?

HomeSealed

Re: Replacing windows in Chicago area - Brand & Installer reviews

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Restorations is nice as you know, as is the Softlite Elements, Okna, Starmark, and upper offerings from Polaris among others. The KHPP has some nice numbers, but if you are worried about changes in management at your Restorations dealer, beware that this product has been passed around like nobody's business and with more volatility than a simple acquisition or two as is not all that uncommon these days. Provia's vinyl window is a middling first attempt from a great door manufacturer that's new to windows. You could do worse but also a lot better. Generic "chassis" used by several other manufacturers. Either of these options (KHPP and Provia) could be fine depending on what you are looking for, but I'd explore some additional options.

davek

#3 Post by davek »

Thanks, are you familiar with Midway? They are a local factory and I have a quote that is almost $10k cheaper than the Provia.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Familiar yes, that pricing tells you all that you need to know.

davek

#5 Post by davek »

It seems most of the top installers in our area are selling MidWay or Provia. Only one offers Sunrise, and they are the one that is disarray right now. Very disappointing how difficult this is

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Great installers generally want to sell and install great windows. Did you try to search out dealers of the other products that I mentioned?

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#7 Post by masterext »

if you are on the north shore, call homesealed.. Awesome guy and a great company. I would at least talk to him.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

What he said.

davek

#9 Post by davek »

I'm awaiting remote quotes on OKNA from two dealers. I also have a quote coming for restoration.

I did get a quote on Provia from an installer I trust and I know does great work. I did see the windows in a showroom and am generally impressed. All of our windows are very tall, almost 70"-75" for the casement and an additional 12"-13" for a transom on top. I also need most of them to be tempered. The provia screen frames are definitely much nicer than the restoration and it seems the hardware is better as well. They both use cardinal glass. I'll await the Okna quotes and then decide.

uncle eddie

#10 Post by uncle eddie »

I'd be more concerned about the quality of the window than the screen frame. Sounds like you are moving in the rigth direction though with provia at the bottom end of your choices instead of the top

davek

#11 Post by davek »

I've selected the Provia windows. After seeing them in person, speaking directly with the company, I found them to be a great value for the quality. Im a bit surpised so many of the opinions here speak so poorly of them, but I understand certain installers can only rep certain brands and are invested in that particular product. Hopefully we can push for more unbiased reviews here in the future.

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

My unbiased review is of an owner and 12-hour a day workaholic. ProVia accounts for 90% of my door business and 25% of my vinyl window business. OKNA has the 75%. I have QC issues with every single ProVia window order as will your order unless the installers hide or fix the issues before you find them. Sorry, but that's from a mechanic that's sells, orders, and installs every window he demos. I like their windows a lot, I just don't love them.

davek

#13 Post by davek »

Lol does okna own this board or something?

In all seriousness the one OKNA dealer near me refused to come out for a quote and said “he didn’t want to waste his time” and the other one I was able to get was 120% higher than the two Provia quotes I got. For a $35,000 savings on the project I’ll take a handful of QC issues (if they even happen). I could install all the windows again in a year and still come out ahead.

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

Own the board, no.

Do a bunch of folks on here use that product, sure.

Do window contractors on here use a product out of blind allegiance to a brand, no.

I think you will find that most business owners want a product that is going to give them the fewest problems while delivering the claimed performance. In my nearly 20 years of doing this, Okna does that better than all others that we have dealt with.

If I can't complete the job because of a service issue...I can't bill. If I can't bill, I can't get paid. You get the associative value there.

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

ProVia is probably the best choice given that information regarding your experience with your local OKNA dealers. We pros work in really strange industry for sure with all kinds of business models, prices, and the quality of the installations. ProVia is a great company. My personal mindset is based a little more on trying to ease my workday with installation friendly verses having to spend extra time tweaking things.