Need help determining replacement garden window size

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MRWindows

Need help determining replacement garden window size

#1 Post by MRWindows »

Need help determining what size garden window to order.
My current window is a 42” x 42” vinyl retrofit slider and i want to replace with a garden window.

Can anyone help figure out what size i should be ordering?
I attached photos of the ext/int of current window.

Thank you all!
Attachments
C24C7DEE-16FC-413B-8BAF-F599C72A169A.jpeg
29CA6399-949D-4F5E-AAF2-C567335D8B1E.jpeg

HomeSealed

Re: Need help determining replacement garden window size

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

The cleanest installation is to simply order to fit the existing rough opening. It doesn't appear as though you have much room to expand, and I certainly wouldn't want to go smaller. Expanding would increase the price quite a bit and also require reworking of that backsplash etc, and again not much would be able to be gained.
If your question is pertaining more to what size window should be ordered for that opening, I'd suggest letting the person who will install the window provide that measurement.

MRWindows

#3 Post by MRWindows »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:18 pm The cleanest installation is to simply order to fit the existing rough opening. It doesn't appear as though you have much room to expand, and I certainly wouldn't want to go smaller. Expanding would increase the price quite a bit and also require reworking of that backsplash etc, and again not much would be able to be gained.
If your question is pertaining more to what size window should be ordered for that opening, I'd suggest letting the person who will install the window provide that measurement.
Could you estimate the rough opening by looking at the pictures?
The existing vinyl retrofit window is exactly 41.5” x 41.5”,
so shouldnt the R.O. be approximately 42” x 42”? Or is it different because the current window is a retrofit block frame window?
Any help woukd help thanks!

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

The RO is probably equivalent to the first bevel on the casing to the interior side.

If you are going to be yanking the thing out, drill a hole in the jamb and verify.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Hard to say for sure, although WoW's measurement should be pretty close in most cases.
Very loosely you could assume adding 1 1/2" in each direction, although there may be more room on the height due to the sloped sill. Your 1/2" each way only gets you to the buck frame opening.

I'd gently reiterate that your installer should really be the one providing these measurements as he can determine what is needed first hand. If you are planning to do this DIY, anything is possible, but this is going to be a bit more involved than slapping a pocket window in there. Garden windows can be tricky, then you have the backsplash, full frame removal meaning new exterior flashing, stucco exterior, cabinets close by, etc. If one were to rate this on a scale of 1-10 as far as window install difficulty, its a lot closer to a 10 than a 1. There are professionals that wouldn't even want to do this job based on the stucco and the backsplash.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

If you the same size as the existing window you know it will fit but you may need to fit things out. You could also put the trim to find the rough opening. Hopefully you’re not asking on behalf of a contractor.
On a personal side note I think garden windows look horrible,especially from the outside. The name and concept of garden window is bad .There prone to condensation with there intended use and will destroy the window . I will not install one and never have and never will, unless the money is right and the warranty is nil.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In some ways I agree with Todd. Garden windows at the kitchen sink are a bad location, you are 24" away from it before you even try to operate it or put things in it. They are expensive and usually not specified correctly nor installed correctly. The seat board should be insulated and also water proof( plastic laminate or solid surface. They should be installed with structural support brackets.

Is your wall block? The existing unit looks set back into the wall.
Perhaps remove the existing unit install a large awning window outbound in the opening. Retrim the interior with a keep sill( perhaps solid surface material and add a 1/2" glass shelve if you want more landing area for small plants.

theWindowNerd.com