large windows recommendation

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bvd

large windows recommendation

#1 Post by bvd »

Hello,

I am going to replace 4 x 3 windows wall with 4 large windows 45''x79''. What windows would you recommend in terms of frame material? I am a little bit concerned about structural integrity of windows wall.

Thank you.

Windows on Washington

Re: large windows recommendation

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

The structure is not provided by the windows, but you do want a robust frame for a larger unit size.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Are you saying 4 wide and 3 high, 12 units all 45" x 79"?
If so you should consider using patio door panels to make up this composite.
What is the wall thickness?
It can all probably be frame with 2 x 4s. You may want to check with a structural engineer, or the window Mfg any have an engineer to help you mull correctly. The wind load would be my biggest concern. maybe 3" laminated post with 2x4 horizontals will work.

theWindowNerd

bvd

#4 Post by bvd »

No, there is actually a frame from 2"x4"s forming 12 cells where current windows are installed. The idea is to cut horizontal bars and install 4 windows for full height of 79".
Thanks.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Got it.
I refer to what you have as an egg crate. we have done these before, usually filling in the bottom section, then removing the upper horizotal, making the opening DHs. You do not mention the operation of the new units.
If DH you will want a well built window like the Okna 800DX. You might need or want tempered glass for the bottom sash and a full screen( this window will be easier to vent from the top).
Besides a great product you need an excellent install, this will be harder for you to vet.