Is it okay to install vinyl retrofit windows over vinyl new construction windows?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
MRWindows

Is it okay to install vinyl retrofit windows over vinyl new construction windows?

#1 Post by MRWindows »

Hello window pros,

I just bought my first home and want to replace all my windows myself, with vinyl Milgard Tuscany windows.. All my current windows are vinyl new consruction with either stucco or wood siding. I attached a few pictures of windows I will be replacing.

I have a few question for you pros:

1.) Is it okay to install vinyl retrofit windows over vinyl new construction? -I talked to a Home Depot associate and they say they wont install any vinyl retro over new consuction vinyl windows, they would have to do a full frame new construction install. So they would have to break stucco.

2.) How should I measure the current windows, so I can order retrofit windows that will fit? Most of my current windows are standard sizes 35.5” x 47.5, 47.5” x 47.5 and a few smaller.
Attachments
8A21F770-97C2-4004-9D09-BA5400355AD9.jpeg
47.5” x 47.5<br />47.5 x 47.5 exact window size
47.5” x 47.5
47.5 x 47.5 exact window size
35.5” x 47.5” exact window size
35.5” x 47.5” exact window size

TheWindowNerd

Re: Is it okay to install vinyl retrofit windows over vinyl new construction windows?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

See my answer on the other forum.
I would not do a frame jump in this case.
I would cut out the old frame leaving the fin buried.
theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

Re: Is it okay to install vinyl retrofit windows over vinyl new construction windows?

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1. Can you frame jump, sure.

But I would do an inset installation as TWN is referencing.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Vote #3 for cutting out the frame but with fin left embedded.

MRWindows

#5 Post by MRWindows »

Thanks everyone!
How much frame do you all recommend cutting out?
All of it? Or do i leave a bit and have the new zbar retro frame cover the rest of it?

MRWindows

#6 Post by MRWindows »

HomeSealed wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:26 pm Vote #3 for cutting out the frame but with fin left embedded.
Thanks!
How much frame do you all recommend cutting out?
All of it? Or do i leave a bit and have the new zbar retro frame cover the rest of it?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

Removal of the frame is really an all or nothing proposition. The entire mainframe would be removed, just the nailing flange left embedded under the siding/trim. At the interface where the window frame meets the trim, a blade (multi-tool or reciprocating saw) would go in at that spot and cut the old window loose. In the alternative "frame jump" method, the "guts" of the window (sash panels, etc) are removed, but the frame is left in place with the new window up to it and finished off to hide the old one. Around here, that method is really only done when a narrow depth, metal window frame is in place, as those can be a real bear to cut out.

joestein514

#8 Post by joestein514 »

We have a similar situation in our new home. The front is brick and the side/back is siding. Vinyl new construction windows.

For the sides and back, a full new construction install is being performed. They are removing the siding and installing the new window directly to the frame of the house.

For the front where is brick, they will cut out the window to the brick and install the new window in the space. They will fasten the window to the frame of the house from the side.

Hope this helps.