Seal coming out after 1 year...

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
SamanthaPFl

Seal coming out after 1 year...

#1 Post by SamanthaPFl »

20210806_135631.jpg
First time hiring a contractor, First time buying windows. Replaced every window in my home Feb 2020. A year later I noticed large rubber pieces on the sides of the slider window in the front of the home coming out, actually noticed from the outside! After some research I learned this is the seal on the double pane glass coming out. I called the contractor multiple times with zero luck.. seems as though he vanished..with no luck there I emailed the warranty department through PGT website, after a few days I received an email asking for the order number. Shocker! I have no order number..the contractor switched 2 side windows and a painted glass window to a large window in the front, approx 13 ft long, 2 side sliders and a large picture window in the middle. I emailed PGT back with pictures of the seals and a picture of the labels on the windows. This was 4 business days ago. Have not heard anything yet. Prior to emailing PGT I got an estimate to replace it, approx 18K. I had also scheduled a repair guy that came out today to measure. He will get me the quote by the end of the week. Has anyone had any luck w PGT? I'm semi hopeful they can assist but I'd be surprised if they do since I have zero information on the window. I didn't pick it out, he drew a picture of the front of the home with the new configuration and I agreed. New hardy board,, trim,, replace some flagstone pieces on the front,, etc.. Before it's pointed out, I understand this is 100% my lack of knowledge when hiring a contractor. My father was a contractor and could build you anything. Unfortunately he passed at 59 years old in 2017. I was fortunate enough to never have to hire someone. Never had to second guess my father's word or work!
Seal is put on the 2 side sliders on each side of the picture window, both sections of the window. Waiting on quote for 4 pieces of glass. The middle picture window looks like it may be starting in the lower corner but the glass guy said don't worry about it yet, too expensive to replace?
I'm also not 100% sure this was a brand new window, the label looks old, but I have no clue. Unfortunately I was working the day the he arrived and installed the windows. They appear new besides the label looking dirty 🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️.
What would you guys do??
Last edited by SamanthaPFl on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

toddinmn

Re: Seal coming out after 1 year...

#2 Post by toddinmn »

I am not sure exactly what Is going on , some pics would help. Unfortunately in the window business warranty claims can be difficult, this is nothing like auto’s where you can bring in your car to any dealership and get warranty service . Even though you went into some detail I do not fully understand the problem, some pics would help. Things can difficult for a consumer even when you a reputable manufacturer.

SamanthaPFl

#3 Post by SamanthaPFl »

Ok pic added I think

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

Working with PGT is your best option at this point. I’d give them Some more time to respond and follow up with them if they don’t.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

It looks like the spacer has migrated into the viewing area which should be covered under warranty. Most times you'll go through the dealer/installer in this stuff, but if that outfit is MIA, as Todd said you are on the right track. PGT is a reputable manufacturer, I suspect they will provide the replacement parts, you'll likely just pay for the installation of them unless the original installer pops up and covers it.

Also keep in mind that almost everything in this industry is significantly delayed right now, I'd give them a little grace on getting back to you. Expect a long lead time on the parts as well. The good news is that its only aesthetic.