Leak in window

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Dhcochran10

Leak in window

#1 Post by Dhcochran10 »

I had sunrise windows installed and have leak in one window. The window is on side of house with no roof overhang and cedar planking 12 feet above with waterproofing behind. I have water coming in from top of frame. I have called the sunrise dealer over the last 3 months and he was going to have his “installer” call me but he has never come out. They they say it’s my problem. I have gone into attic during hard rain storm an no water in attic over window. I have determined that the water is getting behind the Cedar siding and on top of the waterproofing and hitting top of window and leaking through frame. Dealer says they don’t use flashing on replacement windows just caulk and screws. Called manufacturer and they said water on top of frame will leak through. Not sure where to go dealer is giving me run around. I wrote him a check for 10k not his “installer”

Thoughts? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Dhcochran10

Re: Leak in window

#2 Post by Dhcochran10 »

Flashing tape is what I intended to say. I think it should have had tape on top of frame and under the waterproofing under cedar siding

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Do you have any pictures?

Was this a pocket replacement where the new window was set inside the old frame? Or was the old frame removed entirely.

The answer to whom is responsible depends on how the window was installed and where the water is entering, essentially whether its coming in through the area of their work or from above it.

I definitely do not like the fact that you can't get anyone out to look at this, even if its not their fault when all is said and done that really can't be said without looking at it first short of something extremely obvious.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Can you upload a picture? Leaks from the window head are usually siding, trim, or roofing issues.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

A drip cap needs to be installed.
theWindowNerd

Ricknez

#6 Post by Ricknez »

Windows on Washington wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:28 pm Can you upload a picture? Leaks from the window head are usually siding, trim, or roofing issues.
I am in full agreement with WOW. Leaks are usually from the siding, trim, or roof and rarely from the actual window.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

Post up some pics, preferably from
the outside at the top of the window.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

Post up some pics, preferably from
the outside at the top of the window.

Dhcochran10

#9 Post by Dhcochran10 »

Attached is a photo of the window. According to the installer the window was screwed in and has sealant around window. I think the water is getting behind the cedar board and running down on the waterproofing and on top of window behind where the window was caulked.

Thanks
Attachments
591025DB-AB67-4735-8B61-DAD3C8A89D8C.jpeg

Dhcochran10

#10 Post by Dhcochran10 »

Photo of top
Attachments
FD3011E3-0148-4316-A24E-1CAA6B3C5A3D.jpeg

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Its hard to tell if that is a drip cap or a head expander on the top of the window... If a drip cap, it should not be caulked to the siding as best practice. I see them caulked to the siding all of the time on cedar sided homes, this is still incorrect but somewhat less concerning than say a vinyl sided home where more moisture will get behind the siding.

The function of that flashing is to direct any water out that may be entering on the wall above the window, so if that flashing isn't right and the water enters above, then flows down the wall, the window installer may still be on the hook.... Its also possible that the water is coming in higher and entering into the wall cavity, in which case the window flashing wouldn't stop it and it would not be the fault of the installer.

Next step if you can't get them out would be to water test. Run a hose directly over the top of the window (no higher to start). If it leaks, that pretty open and shut that its a window leak... Give it a few minutes as it can take a minute for water to pool before the leak shows inside.

If nothing there then move up the wall until something comes in. Document your findings and if it looks like a window leak go back to the company with that information.

Dhcochran10

#12 Post by Dhcochran10 »

I don’t think there is a drip cap just the window. I will do the hose test, that’s all good info. I was told no flashing was used just screws and sealant around replacement window..

Thank you

Ricknez

#13 Post by Ricknez »

Dhcochran10 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:18 pm I don’t think there is a drip cap just the window. I will do the hose test, that’s all good info. I was told no flashing was used just screws and sealant around replacement window..

Thank you
You wouldnt use flashing tape with a replacement window install. It would only be used with a new construction installation.
They are correct when they say they would only use “ screws and sealants” with a replacement window install. The problem is either the cedar board or the mortar, not the window install imo…

Dhcochran10

#14 Post by Dhcochran10 »

It is clear that a drip cap is a must on an install like this with 2o feet of siding over a window. As installer would you not put in a drip cap or is the homeowner responsible? If it’s not leaking now it will in the future. If I can’t get the Sunrise dealer out to install how should I install?

Thanks

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

Even if that top bead of caulk doesn't fatigue and fail over time, water likes to get behind siding and will work it's way around the head cavity atop that head expander and you have a water leak. I'd loosen some siding courses to completely remove the first panel about the window and correctly flash a drip cap.