Garage Window Modification

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
arcticcircle

Garage Window Modification

#1 Post by arcticcircle »

Hi there,

My garage has 2 tall, narrow, single pane picture windows (frosted or textured plexiglass). These windows are recessed by the depth of the case which is built using 1x6's (apologies for any terminology errors here).

My goal would be to remove the casing and plexiglass from each window and rebuild new casing for each. The case would be installed as it was before however, rather than sandwiching the plexiglass between the case and the garage wall, I'm wondering if I could build a set of removable frames for the plexiglass and another set that are screened. If it gets too hot in the garage while working in the evening I could remove the plexiglass frames and swap in the screens just to provide some air flow and keep out the bugs.

The frame for the plexiglass would be sealed but wondering if it would even be possible to create an adequate seal when the frame is held against the case (rubber seal / gasket etc).

Obviously an actual casement window would solve this problem but curious if my idea is remotely possible.
Attachments
window_example.jpg

TheWindowNerd

Re: Garage Window Modification

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yup.
Lot of work. But if you have more time than money go for it.

theWindowNerd

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

I’d go with new casement inserts if that matches the other windows in the house, especially if it is heated. You could also use a stationary storm window with a screen. I’d consider your skill level , resale value and ease of use in your decision.

arcticcircle

#4 Post by arcticcircle »

Thank you both for the feedback.
my skilllevel is fairly high - do a lot of fine woodworking in the garage which is definitely hot in the summer months and the reason I'm thinking about this.

That said, I know there's a huge difference between "woodworking" and real construction knowledge. I believe I could execute the work but not sure how the actual seal would be achieved.

The stationary storm window with screen is interesting but I want to avoid making the space for the windows any wider which I'm assuming I'd have to do. Budget is also a concern otherwise I would definitely be considering casement inserts.

Thank you both again for the feedback and if you happen to think of anything else please don't hesitate to share.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

The seal could be done with weather stripping.
I would use polycarbonate vs acrylic (plexiglass) probably 3/16 thick. The acrylic is kind of fragile and scratches easily.