Flashing Details on Quote

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
carne_asada

Flashing Details on Quote

#1 Post by carne_asada »

HI - I'm getting full frame replacement windows and most of the installers are refusing to detail exactly how they will flash the the frames in the quote and what materials they will use. I'm only getting generic statements like "Flash and seal all openings". Is this typical ? I know there is a wide range in flashing material quality and technique and I'm keen to make sure that It's done right. The existing siding is 1950's era cedar shake on a black building paper or brick in some spots.

HomeSealed

Re: Flashing Details on Quote

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

That is not uncommon as a standard "description" as every home is different. That said, it wouldn't be out of line for you to ask for them to explain those details to you, and then add them to the contract. Maybe they will or maybe they won't, but again, not out of line in my opinion.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I also believe you should ask the preferred provider the details of the flashing. Once explained and agreed to ask that it be included in the contract.
Without seeing each specific elevation and siding type along with the new unit specs I can not suggest best practices.
theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 to the previous comments.

Need to get some more fleshed out details from your contractor.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

+1 more. How hard can it be to say I’m going to use dupont flashing tape, OSI window foam, OSI quad caulk on windows he the exterior?
Flashing details can get tricky when dealing with existing siding full framed especially when brick is involved . “Full framed windows “ is a little vague. Do the have nail fins or not? What are they doing with interior?

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

It's nice to deal with an outfit that has someone in charge of installations that also has customer service skills. They should be leaping at the opportunity to simply state what product line or comparable products and methodology. It's not rocket science and there a ton of flashing information out there on YouTube from companies like DuPont (Tyvek).

I just had my new estimate van up-fitted with racks and interior stuff for the running of my business. I also had the most respected audio store upgrade the system. I wrongfully assumed that they would put qualified techs on my vehicle. Total misjudgment on my behalf. Both outfits put greenhorns on my vehicle and what a nightmare. Now, it seems I have to be that grumpy old "get off my lawn" badass kind of guy when I'm making a big purchase.

Like Todd stated, it's simple to just list the brands and materials used.

carne_asada

#7 Post by carne_asada »

Thanks - the most I've been able to get out of the window installers is " the installation will be in compliance with Installation Masters training class" and "it's in our best interest to do it correctly since we have a lifetime warrenty on labor and materials. " It's very frustrating not to get specifics. I'm looking at the Provia Aries windows so that I can get a paintable interior surface as we want a non-white trim paint scheme in some rooms. The windows have nail fins (except for the ones going in brick) They are replacing the interior trim as part of the quote as they said they don't like to re-use trim for full frame replacements.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That sound s good that there is a standard referenced.
Still as we have ll agreed not to hard to give you a little of what you want.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

Installation Masters training and DuPont's directions on their products is the same from what I remember? If's been a longtime since I sat through that program. Good stuff. We exceed most of those practices. I don't like paintable interior finishes unless someone is the like the best detail painter on planet earth. Factory sprayed finishes seem so much cleaner in regard to brush strokes, and not getting any paint on the metal and plastic jamb parts.

joestein514

#10 Post by joestein514 »

We are in middle of our whole house starmark window installation. They are being installed as new construction windows on 3 sides of the house (the front is brick and it is being installed as a replacement window in the brink openings.).

They are using pella flashing tape.

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds pretty comprehensive. That's a solid window choice too.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I like Pella flashing tape. Have used on a variety of mfg.

toddinmn

#13 Post by toddinmn »

The Pella flashing tape is great stuff. I don’t think they make a like Dupont’s flex wrap for the sill’s though.