Casement Quotes/Advice - *Follow-Up After Install*

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
apmech46166

Re: Casement Quotes/Advice - *Follow-Up After Install*

#46 Post by apmech46166 »

Hello All...It's been a while, but our windows finally arrived and were installed about one month ago. Thanks for all the advice along the way. The install was a little stressful due to a couple openings that I could tell had rot that went in pretty deep. All in all I am satisfied with the windows and the installation. It definitely is worth doing the research for a quality product and quality installer on the front end. I'm going to post some pics and if there are any questions that anyone would like to ask me, please feel free. Lord knows I asked you all more than my fair share.

The only install issues I had was with the coil on the half rounds and several missed caulking areas. The vertical aluminum coil was installed overlapping the half round window coil instead of the other way around. So, water run off will now run behind the coil if the caulk fails. (The pics will show this)

Window quality wise, there was one sash that was warped enough that the sash wouldn't open, so they ordered a new sash and will come install it upon arrival. Another sash was about 1/8" too narrow for any of the screens to fit, so one of the screens is being cut down by the contractor and brought back to us soon. That sash will have its own "custom" screen so to speak. There were about 5 or 6 screens that had small holes in them and they are either getting re-ordered or new screen material installed by the contractor and brought back to us soon. There are a few dark marks in some of the corners on the windows which is a bit surprising and unsightly. Lastly, all of the screen's manufactured corners have sizable gaps in them which I didn't expect at this price point.
Attachments
window13.jpg
window10.jpg
window8.jpg

apmech46166

#47 Post by apmech46166 »

More Pics
Attachments
window specs (2).jpg
window11.jpg
window12.jpg

Delaware Mike

#48 Post by Delaware Mike »

A little bit of Goof Off on a rag will remove the interior overspray. Don't go crazy with it.

toddinmn

#49 Post by toddinmn »

The screens look horrible, the clean up should have been done before they left. The cladding is a rookie mistake. How long is that bottom sill, if it is less then 10’6” it should be 1 piece. Appears to be gaps in the caulk. Not a fan of the caulking where the casing meets the sill , I prefer none with a tight joint for appearance and water drainage. Why did they not wrap the cedar ? A properly sized door there would have perhaps cleaned up the look, hard to say without seeing the rest or knowing more details . If this was my work it would be eliminated from my portfolio. This is the day and age where things get posted online , often before the contractor is done. IMO a good O tractor is aware of this and takes care of it asap.

apmech46166

#50 Post by apmech46166 »

Mike, thanks for the tip on using the goof off for the black marks.
Todd, glad you agree on the screens, I thought the same. As far as the cladding, the pic I posted got oriented off 90 degrees when I posted it. If you click to enlarge I think it will right itself. It is an area where a half round window coil meets the vertical coil of the casement below it. There's definitely a gap in the caulking there and at the other half rounds installed. I pointed them out after the job and they came back and fixed it, but I found other significant gaps when painting the cedar later that I'll just fix in my own. The cedar was not wrapped as agreed before the contract. For the agreed price they would have either replaced the damaged cedar or wrapped it. If I wanted both, there would have been a jump in price. So, I chose to have them replace it and paint it myself. So, the white caulk and bare cedar you see in the pic looks much nicer now that I taped and primed/painted it all myself.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Attachments
49912.jpeg

apmech46166

#51 Post by apmech46166 »

More pics

TheWindowNerd

#52 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I is a shame the capping was not lapped to shed water.

QC is battle now.

Looked good all painted.