Look of Starmark on Vinyl siding.

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
joestein514

Look of Starmark on Vinyl siding.

#1 Post by joestein514 »

The installation of the Starmark windows in my home is mostly done. Other than repair work to the concrete around the basement windows, there is just a punch list of small fixes.

However, I am not thrilled with the look of the Vinyl windows along the side or back of my house where their is vinyl siding. My previous windows were much thinner than the Starmark windows (they are around 2" deeper). The old windows were flush with the siding. However the new windows stick out around 2". The installers put a flat trim around the window that went into the j-channel. The made it by bending a roll of PVC/Aluminum. I have inserted a pic below.

Any suggestions about what can be done.
Capture.GIF

toddinmn

Re: Look of Starmark on Vinyl siding.

#2 Post by toddinmn »

The window and the trim are a little strange looking IMO. I am not familiar with the window or how they installed them to give a real opinion beside I don’t like it. What did they do on the interior? Have you talked to them? Looks like they installed them without nail fins?

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

What does the inside look like? Do you have wood trim? Post a picture of the inside.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Has far less to do with the window or siding than it does how they chose to finish it.

It looks to me like they did use a nail fin, or at least some type of filler in the exterior accessory groove. The Starmark has a pronounced screen track as part of the design. Personally I like to see thicker trim used to offset that. When clad, the aluminum can be run right to the side of the screen track, all but eliminating the "projected" look.

There is nothing wrong per se with what they did there, but I agree that the shallow trim against the deeper frame isn't the most visually appealing.

joestein514

#5 Post by joestein514 »

They did use a nail fin. I replaced vinyl windows, so I needed a nail fin installation. The siding on my house has no foam underneath. It is the wood shell of the house (which is where the nail fins are) and is covered in tar paper and then the siding. That is why the window sticks out so much.

The insides have a 2" wood jamb, but I dont think they could have installed the window in any deeper due to the nailing fins.

The contractor said that is the only way he could do it unless we decided to re-side the house.

Does anyone have any other suggestions about a better way to finish it?

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

See my post above. Build out the exterior trim

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

There does not appear to be any exterior trim to build out.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

toddinmn wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:17 pm There does not appear to be any exterior trim to build out.
Then add some.

toddinmn

#9 Post by toddinmn »

At this point it gets a little complicated.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yup, i agree. One reason I do not like fin installs.
Cut back the siding 2.75" or 3.75" re J, add 2x3 or 2x4 surround, then cap and seal.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

TheWindowNerd wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:33 am Yup, i agree. One reason I do not like fin installs.
Cut back the siding 2.75" or 3.75" re J, add 2x3 or 2x4 surround, then cap and seal.
Exactly. Nothing overly complicated, but expect extra charges.
We use prefinished LP or Azek at times as well, although using 2x material with capping does give the flexibility to minimize that screen track projection by abutting it instead of the mainframe edge.

joestein514

#12 Post by joestein514 »

I am trying to get them to do one window to see what it looks like and see what pricing will be.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Here is how ours generally look when finished. This one has a brickmold bend, some people prefer flat when the trim is a little wider.
evo trimmed 2.jpg
evo trimmed 1.jpg

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#14 Post by masterext »

That looks very nice Brandon. I do know that does add a lot to the cost.

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

That sample does look nice.
OP picture shows his unit very proud of the siding.