Dissimilar glass in Ohio area?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Runabout

Dissimilar glass in Ohio area?

#1 Post by Runabout »

Ok after extensive research I have learned that dissimilar glass (one pane one thickness, another pane another thickness) provides nearly as much reduction of outside noise as laminated glass, but it greatly less expensive. Triple pane only barely improves outside noise according the the research sources I found. Panes are too close together, the farther apart the panes the better. And different thicknesses of glass work on different sound waves. So two identical panes dampen the same sound waves but two different thicknesses address a wider range of sound waves.

-Redoing windows in what is likely my "rest of my life" (am pushing 60) house and would love to get a decent reduction of all the highway noise, semis, motorcycles (groups of 30+ obnoxious in the summer, sirens, etc). I realize there are other sources of sound infiltration. Just got new doors and they are very tight. New roof not long ago and caulking of gaps. My current options for installers are all 25 years plus in business and highly regarded so I feel good about the install half of the equation.

Originally I was hoping for a $500 window that would meet my needs (another lengthly thread on here for that) and well I have ended up in the $515 to $650 range for roughly 33x 56 windows double hung white. Polaris Thermalweld Plus, Provia Endures and Soft-lite Barringtons. My favorite is the Polaris.

I just learned the Barrington is not available with the 2 different thicknesses and I have it on pretty good authority that Polaris doesn't have it either. Thanks ToddinMN. Haven's got intel on Provia Endures yet. Not crazy about that ugly balance cover deal, think I would rather have the noise.

Anyone know of a window - as least as good at the Barrington (I know it isn't great but also know it is better than most windows that get installed on new homes and many replacements) that offers this glass option?

I learned about the glass from folks who were making home audio studios. One man (out west) said the upcharge was only about $5 a pane but that was around 6 years ago. So $20 now maybe $30ish per double hung. I only have 6 windows that would be involved with the speical glass.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Delaware Mike

Re: Dissimilar glass in Ohio area?

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

The balance cover is the attractive longer snap in piece that covers the open jamb. The stupid thing at the top that is about 4" is what I refer to as a sash stop. I'm with you it's sort of dated and ugly. It has a purpose. In most cases it's obscured by the blinds and window treatments. I tried to get offset glazing with Soft Lite years ago and they wouldn't do it.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Sunrise is available with an offset glass package the call NRG glass. I think your gonna be paying a bit more than $20 .

Runabout

#4 Post by Runabout »

Thanks Delaware Mike, my window terminology is rough to say the least but yes that is ugly looking and like a poor patching job. I am a cover free window type so I would be looking at that mess everytime I looked out. just dont think I can do it for 30 years.

Todd thanks, the only Sunrise dealer that I was provided (Sunrise's website and way to locate dealers are both crap) was the one that told me it would be at least 1k per window for anything they had... nope.

Might sit on this and go yet another winter without, I will call Sunrise today and see if there is a second dealer. Soft-lite told me they like to limit their dealers to ensure basically they don't compete against each other. This is the downside to being in a small city...

Thanks much and if anyone else has intel for Dayton OH area, would love to hear it!