Casement Windows Bind When Trying to Close

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
bill18163

Re: Casement Windows Bind When Trying to Close

#16 Post by bill18163 »

I have to correct myself re the last post. I said the bottom rail was level. I checked it for straightness and it is straight. I didn't pay attention to the bubble in the level so I don't know if it was level. Do I need to check that?

HomeSealed

#17 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with WN following those pics. If the lower sash rail is straight, that would indicate that it is not bowing down and confirm that your issue is the sill bowing up.

Now, your decision will be whether to spend the money to correct this or replace the windows. I had Andersen 400's in a home that I bought just a few years older (early 2000's) that had a rash of seal failures, cracked exterior vinyl cladding, and shot hardware. That said. if yours happen to be in tip top condition other than this and you can find someone to fix this for a reasonable price, that may be hard to argue with.

TheWindowNerd

#18 Post by TheWindowNerd »

In this case the sash being level was not what we were checking for.
Straight is what we were hoping for.
Relieving the sill crown would be the next step.

bill18163

#19 Post by bill18163 »

WN and HS,
A question. If I have the bricks under the window removed, in your opinion will the bow come out of the bottom of the window by itself or could there possibly be more involved in the job?

TheWindowNerd

#20 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I have partially answered this before.
The nails in the bottom flange will need to be removed , then you have to see if that relaxes the crown enough.
The next step would be to remove the bottom sash stop and use some 3" screws to adjust the frame to straight, also a 3" screw through the crank body helps stiffen it too.
Whoever does the work also needs to be careful with the water management plan.

theWindowNerd

bill18163

#21 Post by bill18163 »

WN,
Bear in mind that I have never done any work on window installations. On a detailed drawing of the type of windows I have that I downloaded from Andersen it looks to me that the bottom flange that you refer to would be accessible and visible after you removed the bricks from under the window frame. The bottom flange would be nailed to the two by four rough opening. Is this correct? The sash stop on the frame has a covering of aluminum and the wood under the aluminum appears to be one piece per the drawing. I can't visualize how to remove that stop. It does look like you could drill a hole down through the sash stop just inside the inner edge of the aluminum and then a 3" screw could be screwed down into the rough opening lumber below to do any adjusting as necessary. Let me know your thoughts.

TheWindowNerd

#22 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The flange could be taped over, more than likely not.

The sash stop are the four pieces of wood that are nailed in around the inside of the unit.
The crank is covered over by one of these pieces.