Installation by dealer or other

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Lifelonglearner

Installation by dealer or other

#1 Post by Lifelonglearner »

I'm replacing one window. Since a dealers' installation cost for one window is so high,
are there any downsides to using an independent contractor not associated with a dealer?

If I let the dealer install it, am I better protected if something goes wrong? I'm thinking the
independent installer might blame the problem on the manufacturer, or vice-versa.

Thank you for your thoughts.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Installation by dealer or other

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yes and no.
Why would an independent contractor be any less? He might not be wise enough to be profitable enough to be able to service you over the next ten years.
Plenty of dealers come and go too.

A dealer is going to have better relationship with the MFG and be able to identify QC and other service concerns.
But if the window is made right and installed right. Then it is blameless. If one or both make a mistake it is still their responsibility.

When I was younger I worked harder for a lot less money, so it can happen. Met with a customer last night that said I did her 4 Pella sliding doors 30 years ago. Been at it 40 years now, my son will take over in 5 years.

Another way to look at this : do you have enough money to do it twice if it does not work out?

theWindowNerd

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I always recommend trying to consolidate accountability. Sure, if everything is perfect then you have no issues either way, but almost nothing in life is perfect, and the remodeling business is worlds away from it on that spectrum.

- Manufacturer/supplier and installer point fingers when a problem arises. Yes, someone is to blame and they are responsible for fixing, however getting to the point of figuring out who the responsibility lies with is easier said than done more often than not.

- A dealer will get better and faster service from the manufacturer/supplier when parts are needed, and also handle that on your behalf. Most manufacturers and suppliers are structured to deal with other businesses as opposed to homeowners.

- A dealer will be more familiar with the finer points of a specific product when it comes to both installation and future service.

- A dealer is more likely to be around a few years down the road should things go bad than a guy that does side jobs installing products supplied by others.

Nothing is guaranteed of course, but in an extremely volatile industry such as this, it is wise to play the odds to increase your chances of success.

Lifelonglearner

#4 Post by Lifelonglearner »

Thank you HomeSealed and TheWindowNerd for confirming what I'd suspected. I'd prefer not to do it twice if the first time doesn't work out!

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

I refer all single window installs to my competitors. Expect a premium price.

Lifelonglearner

#6 Post by Lifelonglearner »

Yes, it's not cheap. :)