Paradigm, Harvey, Pella, Anderson, or something else?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
DJJ

Paradigm, Harvey, Pella, Anderson, or something else?

#1 Post by DJJ »

I am still in the planning phases of replacing all my windows in my home. I have received 2 bids and am in the process of getting another later this week. It's tough making comparisons, as each contractor is recommending different windows and the job involves replacing siding and trim work as well. I have 21 total windows, which include 19 double hung and 2 casements. One contractor quote was for Harvey Tribute (Thermalock 2X Low E/Argon) along with Paradigm (Low E 270/clear Argon fill). I was told that the 21 Paradigm windows would be $1200 more than the Harvey's. I thought it would be the other way around. Are Paradigm's better than the Harvey's? I have another contractor who is recommending Pella and Anderson. I am not sure of the models yet. From my research I would think Pella 350. What Anderson would be comparable to these windows? Maybe Anderson 400? I am just looking for a good solid mid range window. White vinyl inside and out. Colonial grids. I am not looking to break the bank as I plan on selling my home in the next few years. I did replace 10 windows 7 years ago with Soft-Lites which I realize are much better windows. I just want something reasonably priced that will match those windows as close as possible. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Windows on Washington

Re: Paradigm, Harvey, Pella, Anderson, or something else?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Why use anything but Soft-Lite if you had previously used them successfully?

DJJ

#3 Post by DJJ »

I do love the Soft-Lites. I have been down this rabbit hole several times. Soft-Lite will not sell their windows to anybody. You have to be one of their distributors. I have had several contractors try and get their windows without success. I know the next question is why not just go through one of their distributors or contractors? My problem is that I am also replacing my siding at the same time with Hardie Plank. Not all contractors install Hardie Plank and many are unaware of the proper installation guidelines. My other concern is cost. Soft-Lites are pricey and I plan on selling my home within the next 3 years. If I could find a contractor who was capable of installing Hardie Plank siding and Soft-Lites at a reasonable price I would hire them right now. Otherwise, I am just looking for a solid mid grade vinyl window that is readily available to the public.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Ok. Don't mind the inquiry...but who is doing the siding and how is it being sourced?

Since Soft-Lite was bought by Harvey, they are now more available via building supply house distributors. Just an observation.

The middle and upper end Harveys are fine as well.

DJJ

#5 Post by DJJ »

I have not decided on a contractor yet. I want one contractor who can do both the siding and the windows. I have a couple of contractors who are very skilled in Hardie Plank from James Hardie's website. They are both pushing different windows. One likes Pella and Andersen. The other likes Harvey and Paradigm. I am just trying to compare apples to apples. I have given up on the Soft-Lites. I have personally contacted them and pretty much told to take a hike, unless I use one of their contractors. So I am basically just trying to figure out what is the best mid range window that is readily available. Harvey, Paradigm, Pella, or Andersen? Or maybe something else? I just want to get this project finished as soon as possible. Thank you.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

Are you doing Hardie to match another part of the home that is in Hardie?

If not...I would NOT do Hardie. LP is a far superior material with a better warranty.

DJJ

#7 Post by DJJ »

Unfortunately, yes I am using Hardie to match up with some Hardie siding I previously installed. Evening Blue color so I really have to stick with Hardie.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I do not think AW or Pella will be good for you.
That leaves you with the other two brands, I would pick the one that best matches your other vinyl windows with the best AL test result.

theWindowNerd