Down to the final Bids - Harvey, Allside, Soft-lite

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
cantonOC

Down to the final Bids - Harvey, Allside, Soft-lite

#1 Post by cantonOC »

Hello All, thanks in advance for your help. I am in the process of replacing my original windows for my 25 yr old house. They are wood double hung windows with 6 over 6 grids. I am going to replace with vynil but I dont want to totally cheap out nor empty my kids college fund. I am down to 3 possibilities, as we all know materials and labor are all through the roof and I am in MA where prices are nuts to begin with. I was initially was going to do 7 windows (my upstairs) but now I am going likley doing some downstairs too. I am am looking at roughtly 700-800 a window installed for the following, quotes are for 7 windows

- Company 1 - Allside mezzos 6k, harvey classic 6.5k - well reviewed window/door company - with trim cladding (which I dont believe I need)
- Company 2 - harvey classic - 5.5k - well reviewed window/door company - Not offering to clad trim.
- Company 3 - Soft-lite Bainbridge - 6k (authorized dealer/installer) - no cladding of trim

harvey is huge around here and has a decent reputation but I am not in love with the harvey product, the mezzos look good on paper but I am not certain it is the best quality, I started looking at softlite as I know they make a better product from what I read but they have many levels. Any one of these compelling enough to anyone??

toddinmn

Re: Down to the final Bids - Harvey, Allside, Soft-lite

#2 Post by toddinmn »

Weather or not you need the the cladding you are comparing apples and oranges in install details. Alside fans we are not. Really not familiar with Harvey. Bain ridge is Ok. Obviously you did a little research here and why not get a bid on the windows that get higher recommendations?

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Will it bother you at all if the windows are leaky/drafty?

Capping the exterior trim, for our area, typically makes it maintance free for 20+ years. You do not have to have it.

theWindowNerd

cantonOC

#4 Post by cantonOC »

Yes drafty leaky would bother me. I have reached out to several window companies and i feel i have taken this as far as I can research wise. I am not trying to keep my house medical grade air right just improve what I have and get 15 or so yrs out of them. Okna i can't get in my area, sunrise same kind of thing, i am not going to sit through a 2 hr presentation with window nation to try to get them then get a stupid price quoted....

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

If Okna and Sunrise are unavailable, have you tried to find a Softlite dealer that sells the Elements or Imperial Elite? IMO, your current selection rates from poor to "meh". Bainbridge would be at the top as a serviceable option... While it can vary by area, your budget is definitely on the low side to get a good product these days.

cantonOC

#6 Post by cantonOC »

Tha ks for the reply. I have a soft-lite dealer coming Saturday, i will ask what other levels of soft-lite he installs. So mezzo will be out but will look at the other two options with a bias towards softlite.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

I’d ask them before they come out.
I think the Bainbridge is a great “entry” level window in Double hungs as long as they are to wide. It is way better than box store options or what many builders
Use . In casement’s it is pretty much the same
as all Soft-Lites options. Most would be lucky to have the Bainbridge in there home but just for a “little more you could have much more .

cantonOC

#8 Post by cantonOC »

Looked at the imperial LE. As far as replacement windows goes pretty nice

TheWindowNerd

#9 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Yup, that is a good one.

cantonOC

#10 Post by cantonOC »

Think i am all done with the research and got a decent bid i believe. Will end up getting 17 DH soft-lite imperial elite windiws and a large picture window everything included for 14k. Now see how long it takes for the product to be manufactured....

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Great price on a very good window. As long as the dealer checks out, sounds like you found a winner.

cantonOC

#12 Post by cantonOC »

I've looked at the work portfolio on various sites and it all looks very good. License and insurance verified as well. 10 yr labor warranty and exclusive soft-lite dealer in my area so feel pretty confident about it. Thanks....glad i hung on and did more research i really was not excited about putting Harvey Classics in my house, likely ok for some but not looking to do this project again in 7-8 yrs or deal with issues. Perhaps it would have been fine but the price is not even that much more than the Harvey windows.

billyself

#13 Post by billyself »

@ OCCanton. I'm in MA as well, was wondering who you used to install the SoftLites?? Seems like a good price...

Windows on Washington

#14 Post by Windows on Washington »

billyself wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:35 pm @ OCCanton. I'm in MA as well, was wondering who you used to install the SoftLites?? Seems like a good price...
Another MA resident purchaser here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10464