Marvin, Harvey or other brand?

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
EHOPPER

Marvin, Harvey or other brand?

#1 Post by EHOPPER »

Hi,

HI,

I am starting on this journey of replacing double hung windows plus one slider for the whole house in metrowest area outside Boston MA. I am getting quotes so far on Marvin Elevate line ($48K all in) and Harvey Tribute. Currently, I have 30 year old Andersen Narroline 200 (?) series windows that seem to be very drafty and let a lot of noise in too. Based on reading this board a bit, I am going to try and get a Okna quote. What are top of the line or near top of the line window companies / window lines that I should get quotes from and are in the Boston area? Drafts, noise, UV protection, excellent thermal rating, are all important to me. Will Marvin Elevate or Harvey Tribute be good enough?

HomeSealed

Re: Marvin, Harvey or other brand?

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

If you are looking for a window that is supremely airtight and has excellent thermal ratings, the Okna is the only one that you are currently considering that would fit that description. The Softlite Elements does as well, along with a handful of others.

EHOPPER

#3 Post by EHOPPER »

Thank you for the reply. I emailed and called Okna and am waiting to hear back if they have a dealer near me. There is a SoftLite dealer nearby, and I will go check them out. I had a Pella rep come and he will provide a quote for Pella Lifestyle series. What would be a close second choice if I cannot find an Okna rep near me? And, of Marvin Elevate, Harvey Tribute, and Pella Lifestyle, which would be best for airtight, excellent thermal rating, block out noise? "along with a handful of others", is there another manufacturer I should look at? Sunrise? Paradigm? the more I learn about windows, the more overwhelmed I become. Thanks again.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

You're in Harvey's and Paradigm's backyards. Both of those manufacturers are below "even for even series"from OKNA, Soft-Lite, Sunrise, Kensington, and Vytex in my opinion. Sunrise is still crazy on lead times. I think the Harvey lines are a little dated and don't care for their glass spacer options. Paradigm has some nice new construction exterior options, but as replacement goes, just an average product. With that being said, much better than some other contractor level vinyl windows.

I'm an OKNA guy so I know what to expect out of that product. If someone does want to spend the money for Marvin fiberlgass, I have no problem with that. It will lack in a few performance categories, but it's a very nice product.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to DM's comments.

The best thing you can do at this point is prioritize what you are looking for in a window. You have some vinyl, you have fiberglass with wood interior, and then you have a wood clad option. These all have distinct pros and cons.

I'll say this, most folks that are wood window (interior) buyers have already ruled out vinyl based on appearance. If you haven't done so, then I suspect that is the direction that will fit your needs best. The Marvin Elevate is indeed a well made window and the Lifestyles has some fans as well, but in most cases you can find a vinyl window with superior thermal and structural performance and for a lower price. Function over form in this case.

Since the Harvey's and Paradigm's are somewhat "middling", I'd focus on the top tier vinyl or composite offerings and you'd still likely end up at a better price point.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I love wood snobs. The product is fun to work with and the look is amazing and classic.
The down side is cost, potential rot, and bad drafts.

High performance vinyl offers so much, just not wood.

theWindowNerd.com

EHOPPER

#7 Post by EHOPPER »

Update:
Okna put me in touch with two dealers ; one won't come out until the Spring and the other is Newpro - selling a licensed Okna window that they make as their own ? Price is estimated to be very high from Newpro for new construction, I have not followed up with them to get exact price.
Window Nation came out, they will do Soft-Lite Imperial new construction for approx $45K for 34 double hung windows + 1 sliding door.
Sunrise dealer won't come to my area.
So, should I go with Window Nation + Soft-Lite Imperial? Pros and Cons of going this route?
Otherwise, I have quotes for Harvey vinyl windows and for Pella 250 series.
Or I can keep going down the rabbit hole and get Andersen quotes.
Suggestions are welcomed.
TIA.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

Are you doing inserts , full frame or full frame with fin? Sounds like Newpro is maybe the only one doing a full frame? Are the Marvin’s priced with a prefinished interior? Sounds like vinyl is right for you , I’d concentrate on getting bids in quality vinyl products as Mike mentioned, otherwise your going to get irrelevant bids and wasting time. It is important that contractors are bidding on the same type of install and upgrades. Have you looked at the products in person? If not I’d recommend that before sending contractors out. I’d first figure out if vinyl or wood is right for you . Don’t base wood or vinyl products on one brand or line alone, they are all unique . Touch them , feel them operate them, inform yourself.