Replacement windows for a house built in 1900

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
Jaybirdnwa

Replacement windows for a house built in 1900

#1 Post by Jaybirdnwa »

I have an older house (121 years old) that I am renovating (acquired from a family member). I am looking to replace 16 windows.

After renovation, I'm unsure whether I'm going to keep this house as an investment property of sale it. I am researching windows and this has been the more frustrating part of this whole process - to talk with window salesmen and to decide on which windows to go with.

So far, I have talked with windows for less and Champion. Windows for less has an attractive price but the quality just doesn't seem to be there. Champions windows quoted a price of $33,000 and then settled on a price of $12,900.00. The windows they were selling didn't look any better than what windows for less was trying to sell me.

I am not looking to replace with the most expensive window, but don't want the cheapest either. I want a good, solid window with a lifetime warranty that will be hassle-free.

Please help with your suggestions and I thank you all in advance. The house is in Southwest Missouri.

Randy

Re: Replacement windows for a house built in 1900

#2 Post by Randy »

Wow, Champion dropped their shorts on that one!

Look for Sunrise, Soft-lite or Polaris dealers that service your area. They probably won't be less than the Champion price, but they'll be a better window, and hopefully won't play such ridiculous pricing games with you.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

I couldn't, in good faith, deal with a company that reduced their price by over 60%.

That is insane. Listen...there are reasons and rationales to drive the price on a unit down, but never remotely approaching 60%.

toddinmn

#4 Post by toddinmn »

I have to agree , But it I have a problems with Any company playing number games weather it is 5% percent a 179 % if they sign right now. IMO it’s just not
right to do that to a person. If us contractors dealt with our subs or suppliers we would just not deal with them. I have always aced any company that has dealt with me in this way. If they bring their discounts up front and propose the Discounted figure right away,then I’m fine as long it it is not tied to a sign today deal. Regardless I’d pass on Champion because they are Champion.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 on the 60% discount, WOWZA! Whether that is policy for that company or just a rogue sales rep, that's pretty extreme.

As far as discounts etc in general, there are many shades of gray here, I don't believe that its a black and white issue. Anyone that has run a sales team knows that the cost of followup and securing that project later on is real and measurable. There is a way to offer an extra few bucks off to get things wrapped up without being shady. I'm firmly against shady sales tactics, high pressure, etc, but if presented honestly, passing along a little bit of savings to the customer is not a bad thing. That's a win-win for everyone involved... And if they'd prefer to think it over or check other options, that's cool too.
IMO, most of the stuff that is looked at as shady or sleazy was/is fine in concept, but but twisted and exploited by the unsavory types.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I know a large local sales company tied to one of the big three that offers 4% discount for first visit signatures. It seemed as the presented their theory of POT, price on the table, that it was not so much about cost to the company but about perception of fairness by the customer. I have thought about that and struggle with that action.

Everyone wants the best price. We tell our customers that if you want the best price it means cash or check. If they want to use a CC it will cost 4%. Or as my one sales lady does...$15,000 is the price if you pay by cash or check it is a 4% discount equals $14,400. Almost all our customers are cash or check. They want the reward points, but prefer $600 in their pocket.
We are still learning.

theWindowNerd

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

4% seems very reasonable to me , but it’s still how you present it. It should not feel like an intervention.

Jaybirdnwa

#8 Post by Jaybirdnwa »

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, It didn't take me long to mark them off my list. Now that I have researched a few windows, I am looking at Joyce Vue windows. I got a quote for $11,470 for 16 windows. The windows avg. 6 ft high by 2 1/2 ft wide. How does this price sound? I could go with the Vue or step up to the SoftLite for about $300/window more. The guy that came out to measure told me that the Joyce and the SoftLite were the same when it came to efficiency, but Joyce had less of a lead time because they manufacture their own glass (or something like that).

Just wanting some feedback from those who do the actual work of installing and using them. I'm learning that these sales guys will tell you anything to get you to buy.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Which model of softlite?