Recommended options for Simonton Reflection 5500 or Prism Platinum in Texas

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
megagreg

Recommended options for Simonton Reflection 5500 or Prism Platinum in Texas

#1 Post by megagreg »

Hello
First of all thank you for your great forum, I spent hours reading your messages and I have learnt a lot about windows thanks to you
We are ready to replace all the windows from our home and I wanted check with you that we selected the right options for our configuration.

Type of construction: Two stories built in 1996 currently with Single Pane windows
Surrounding: No tree/shade above the house, some tall trees approx. 21ft away
Weather conditions: More and more strong wind guts especially from the South side

We already contacted two well rated installers: JP Constructions and Titan Siding and Windows
Both came up with Simonton windows one Reflection 5500 and one Prisme Platinum
Both quote were in the same ballpark $20k +/- 10%
Our goal is not to put them on the knee and waste their time, only get the best window and the right options for us
JPConstruction already installed some Simonton 5500 in our daughter bedroom (hottest oriented South and West) and we were very satisfied with their work, so even if they are the most expensive, we would rather go with them...

Configuration Total 17 Windows: 3 Double Sliders, 2 Pictures, 12 Double Hung
FRONT (WEST): One Picture window (eyebrow) with Tempered Glass above the entry door
FRONT (WEST): One tall/large Picture window (inc. eyebrow) above a small/large Double Slider window both reinforced
LEFT (NORTH): Four Double Hung windows
RIGHT (SOUTH): One Double Hung window
RIGHT (SOUTH): One Double Slider window with tempered and obscured glass in bathroom
RIGHT (SOUTH): One Double Slider window
BACK (EAST): Seven Double Hung windows
Every opening windows will come with a pair of full screens one of which I will equip with solar screen for summer (especially South ones)
No special asthetic options, white outside, white inside, white hardware, no grid

If I understood correctly your posts, both 5500 and Platinum are the same windows, but I read somewhere the Platinum might have a better warranty, is it correct?

About the options, if I understood correctly your previous answers, the recommended ones are:
- Low E Softcoat (Prosolar)
- Double Strength (1/8") glass
- 1” superspacer
- Sash reinforced at meeting rail DP55
- Aluminum screens
- Qualified for ENERGY STAR in Texas

I am really sorry for my potential redundant message, but as you said in some post, each configuration is different, plus unlike some user who received some quote with detailed windows specification (like below), the quotes we received were either a scan of a handwriten paper with just number/type of windows and brand/model or a summarized version without info about the options

Thanks in advance for your guidance to order the best windows with the right options for our family.
PS: considering that we are spending approx. $20k we spend eventually 2k more if there is additional options or better models that will make our life even better :)

Thanks in advance
Greg

32" (T) X 64" (T) 5500 Reflections White Double Hung; Tip-to-Tip; BOX; Colonial Top White Flat (2V1H); 1'' IGU Thickness; Super Spacer; Low E Softcoat (Prosolar); Argon Gas; Double Glazed; Double Strength (1/8"); Half Screen Fiberglass Extruded Screen Mold; 00 No Reinforcement; Two Air Latches; Two White; Logo Lock; Sill Extender; Glass Warranty (UI=96"); DP:25; Test Number=91631.01; U-Factor:.30; SHGC:.24; Unit qualifies for ENERGY STAR region(s):

Windows on Washington

Re: Recommended options for Simonton Reflection 5500 or Prism Platinum in Texas

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Paging Ultra Windows

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

There price is within range , you’re happy with the product and installation, the window is well regarded even though it is Not in the upper tier of performance. I’d say go for it and try to work on the price.

megagreg

#4 Post by megagreg »

Thank you Windows on Washington and toddinmn
What about the model 5500 or Platinum, are they 100% same technically and warranty wise?
What about the recommended options that I should ask for them, is the list below correct?
- Low E Softcoat (Prosolar)
- Double Strength (1/8") glass
- 1” superspacer
- Sash reinforced at meeting rail DP55
- Aluminum screens
- Qualified for ENERGY STAR in Texas

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Same window, extrusion, etc. Just different label to saturate the market.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I’d consider the Prosolar Shade for you area.
The Supercept spacer is very good as well.
Screen material is a trade off.
Sash reinforcement and double strength glass are great options.

megagreg

#7 Post by megagreg »

New question posted separately