softlite dh imperial ls insert air leaks

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
petras52

softlite dh imperial ls insert air leaks

#1 Post by petras52 »

Hello..with the colder weather here, I've noticed slight air leaks at both of the vertical side channels where the top and bottom sashes meet..these leaks are only in those 2 corners and not elsewhere on the meeting rail...all windows affected....I've used a bit of weatherstripping foam to help plug up the leaks...window contractor used only fiberglass insulation and not foam in the small gaps between the inserts and window rough in frames..also he did caulk around the outside window frame..it was his first softlite install..any advice appreciated..thanks..

HomeSealed

Re: softlite dh imperial ls insert air leaks

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Best advice is to call the installation company to come take a look.

Do you see anything obvious such as gaps between the sash and frame? Raise the lower panel and drop the top panel slightly, is the gap fairly even from one side to the next? Is there much slop if you try to move the sash side to side when open? Any weatherstripping falling out, cut short, or missing? Any cracks or gaps in caulking inside or out?

If all of that checks out its possible that there may be nothing wrong. That is a very good window, but its important to remember that is still a window nonetheless, which is to say that it is the weak point in any wall assembly in terms of energy efficiency. Even the tightest windows will leak a little bit of air, and even glass with the best U value's will feel cold in comparison to surrounding areas.

Ricknez

#3 Post by Ricknez »

No operable window can be 100% air tight, its impossible plus if its too tight , the window would be almost impossible to operate. You have a very good window and you could only imagine how drafty an inferior window would be.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've never seen or heard of that SL platform leak noticeable air. SL has very large weatherstripping profiles to the LS and Elements along with a good interlock. Something may be wrong.

petras52

#5 Post by petras52 »

Thanks guys..just to update, I found that the vertical weatherstripping strips on the lower sash were cut about 1/4" inch too short. This created a small air gap at the meeting rail corners. Once I inserted a tiny piece of foam weatherstripping in those gaps, the air leak issue was solved. Still a bit disappointed with their quality control since they claim such a low air infiltration number...maybe I got a rare bad batch..

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

I would give the rest of the windows a once over. Not uncommon for the human capital part to make a mistake or a machine to be out of adjustment. Still should not affect the bones of the unit in this case.

petras52

#7 Post by petras52 »

thanks..I've applied some small pieces of adhesive backed weatherstripping in all the windows..should hold up ok through the winter..I'll probably contact soft lite in the spring to see about replacement strips..

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Glad that you found the issue. As mentioned above, even quality companies/products are not perfect. While the stick on pieces may be okay for now, I'd definitely get the correctly cut fin seal installed when you can.