Soft-lite elements

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
johnport

Soft-lite elements

#1 Post by johnport »

I just signed but within my cancellation period for soft-lite elements windows. How does this pricing look? Is it on par with current elements prices and a very decent deal or was I just raped? Seems sky high to me but i've been looking for months and all the quotes are crazy from everyone and non-stop price increases. I was also told another 15% price increase on soft-lite coming Jan 1st which is why I went for it now.

Total 13 windows for 32k

All windows other than the last one are double pane, black exterior and white interior.

I had 2 addtional casement windows I wanted replaced but they wanted 18k just for those 2 along with an upstairs bump out that has a pw and 2 traps that they wanted 9500 for those 3. I passed on all those as that seems beyond unrealistic. I was thinking of going imperial elite with another dealer for those if I can get them at a fraction of the elements price. I just dont see how 9k per casement window is what anybody would pay.
Last edited by johnport on Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantonOC

Re: Soft-lite elements

#2 Post by cantonOC »

The latter not the former

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

That pricing would be very high if you truly only have 13 individual, single windows. In most cases like this, there is confusion with qty, as banks of 2,3,4+ windows are being incorrectly counted as "1". A twin should be 2, triple is 3, a transom is an added window as well, etc. Does the info change the equation at all?

johnport

#4 Post by johnport »

HomeSealed wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 pm That pricing would be very high if you truly only have 13 individual, single windows. In most cases like this, there is confusion with qty, as banks of 2,3,4+ windows are being incorrectly counted as "1". A twin should be 2, triple is 3, a transom is an added window as well, etc. Does the info change the equation at all?
Unfortunately it does not :( I do have some additional casement windows I did not opt to replace due to price which were broken up like that. i.e. one casement window was Window#1.1 70H x 30W - $2567, Window 1.2 70H x 30W - $2567, Window 1.3 70H x 80W $3857 so that came out as 3 separate windows but is actually just one casement window for nearly 9k which is INSANE.

Really unhappy with soft-lite that they only authorize one dealer in the state to sell the elements line. This vastly screws consumers when you have sleazy companies like statewide remodeling that I had to go through who are the only ones that hold that authorization.

toddinmn

#5 Post by toddinmn »

Their casement is pretty much the same through all there lines with minor differences.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

johnport wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:36 pm
HomeSealed wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 pm That pricing would be very high if you truly only have 13 individual, single windows. In most cases like this, there is confusion with qty, as banks of 2,3,4+ windows are being incorrectly counted as "1". A twin should be 2, triple is 3, a transom is an added window as well, etc. Does the info change the equation at all?
Unfortunately it does not :( I do have some additional casement windows I did not opt to replace due to price which were broken up like that. i.e. one casement window was Window#1.1 70H x 30W - $2567, Window 1.2 70H x 30W - $2567, Window 1.3 70H x 80W $3857 so that came out as 3 separate windows but is actually just one casement window for nearly 9k which is INSANE.

Really unhappy with soft-lite that they only authorize one dealer in the state to sell the elements line. This vastly screws consumers when you have sleazy companies like statewide remodeling that I had to go through who are the only ones that hold that authorization.
While I can understand your frustration, overall this process protects customers more than it screws them. The main problem in the home improvement business is that there are virtually no barriers to entry, so individuals that are completely unqualified in every way regularly start companies (and subsequently fail), leaving homeowners with shoddy work or even out thousands of dollars for no work in some cases. Manufacturers of higher end products care about their reputation, and limit the quantity and quality of dealers that sell it accordingly. I guess what I'm getting at is that far more people get screwed over by picking a low price than they do by paying "too much" for a quality product from an established company.

With all of that said, based on what you are saying, this price does sound pretty crazy. I do wonder if there is still some context missing here, but if not, this is pretty extreme.

Secondly, on the plus side and as Todd alluded to, you should be able to find another Softlite dealer with the same window since their casement is nearly universal save for some changes to weatherstripping an option content. If you can find a reputable company that carries the Imperial Elite line that would be ideal.

jesoonster

#7 Post by jesoonster »

Ok. So I'll give you a reference point. I got a crude quote (double hung, double pane) for 29X70 each X 2 = a twin and each of them will be 900$ish f(1) or barrington and 1000$ (1) for elite installed (complete replacement and not pop out) for each window on a stucco home.

And I live in one of the most expensive markets in the US - Austin. I think you are getting overcharged.