Requesting advice on bids

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
peggy

Requesting advice on bids

#1 Post by peggy »

My name is Peggy and I live in Colorado. We're looking to replace 20 windows. I'd like to know what you think about the following bids:

Zen Nirvana - $17,530 with an extra $1450 for upgraded windows.

Sunrise Restorations - $17,229

Amerimax Craftsman - $13,446

Anlin Del Mar - $21,294

Any thoughts would be apprekciated

Ricknez

Re: Requesting advice on bids

#2 Post by Ricknez »

I think you have a clear winner with the Sunrise Restorations. Are you getting any grids?

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1.

It's nice when the question is so easily answerable with a clear winner.

Agreed. Restorations for the win.

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Another vote for the Restorations here. Obviously you will want to vet the installation company and weigh that as well, but that line is generally reserved for established, reputable dealers so I'm guessing they will be solid.

william.manley

#5 Post by william.manley »

Greetings. Last week I had 28 Sunrise Restorations windows installed in my home in Lafayette -- just outside Boulder Colorado. Something to consider: After installation, and at odds with all information I had, I learned that the windows had a lower U factor than promised. And that the Omega 12 glass package did NOT have argon. IE air filled. Ie. in my mind, the wrong windows were installed.

I will post another thread soon as I'm in a quandary: Sunrise and the installer both claim that no Sunrise windows are delivered to Colorado with argon, due to the issue of gas leaking out of the windows when they arrive at higher elevation. They also claim that hardly anyone gets triple pane windows in Colorado. (ie., the installer said that over 7 years they have never installed triple pane).

So, after expecting double pane with argon with a U factor of 0.24, I got double pane with air and a U factor of 0.27. Maybe it shouldn't bother me but it does.

At any rate, if you go with them, ask for a spec sheet with the window model (i.e. order code, e.g. S2210x) that clearly matches what is in the contract. (ie. not S2210a, with argon, which is not installed in Colorado ... ).

Any thoughts from folks about whether argon is typically included in Colorado? Whether triple pane is typically installed in Colorado?

Thanks!

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Was there any reference in your contract to product details and ratings? Was the .24 documented and/or promised to you, or is that something that you simply found in your own research? Any mention of argon (or lack thereof)?

What the company is stating doesn't sound completely implausible based on my anecdotal knowledge of windows in your region. That said, you should definitely get the product as it was specified in writing (if it was). Hopefully there was no intent to deceive here and this is just a case of miscommunication or misaligned expectations.

william.manley

#7 Post by william.manley »

The short answer is that it's complicated.

Not contested on either side is that I ordered Sunrise Restorations, dual pane, with the Omega 12 glass package.

On one hand, I am at fault because the contract (itself without specs) referred to S2210x (not S2210a). I didn't catch this minor difference. (As it turns out, S2210x is with air and 0.27 U factor for double hung, discovered from the window stickers after installation).

On the other hand, the installer in an email specifically indicated that the window I was getting was the bottom line of his attached spec sheet -- the S2210a (with argon and 0.24 U factor). Furthermore, they provided a Restorations brochure indicating that all Omega 12 glass packages had argon. And the Sunrise website does the same. In no way did the installer or Sunrise indicate anywhere that argon-filled windows are not shipped to Colorado, or that the specs are different for Colorado than stated in many places for Restorations with Omega 12.

We are under negotiations to consider replacing the new windows with triple pane air filled ones, or perhaps compensation and keeping the recently installed, inferior ones. The idea of the latter bothers me whenever the furnace turns on. As a climate scientist, I am interested in energy efficiency.

Am I crazy to want better windows than what was installed, and instead along the lines of what the provided spec sheet, brochure, and website said? Granted, they have good coatings with foam-filled and reinforced frames, but is the best I can reasonably expect in Colorado to be a dual pane air-filled window? Can I trust the installer and Sunrise when they say they hardly ever install triple pane windows in Colorado? Can I trust them when they say that argon is not suitable for Colorado because it just leaks out within a few months?

At this point, I don't know where to turn for answers to the last three questions. It is a fraught and frustrating experience. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Bill

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Complicated indeed.

I'll say this, the fact that the correct glass is specified on the contract is important. What is encouraging is that this company sounds willing to work with you to find some sort of resolution given the circumstances, as providing you literature that may have led you to believe that you were getting different glass is not irrelevant either.

Regarding your concerns about argon, triple pane, etc, have you spoken to any other companies in your area about their normal practices? Perhaps you received other quotes prior to this purchase that would offer insight? I do know that altitude does pose some issues, I'm just not sure about the common practices for dealing with that in your neck of the woods.

DenverWindows

#9 Post by DenverWindows »

Mind if I ask who the Sunrise dealer is? I came across Anlin and Zen but would love to chat with a Sunrise dealer in the Colorado area.

peggy

#10 Post by peggy »

Thanks for the replys. I'm working with Douglas Enterprises in Lone Tree. I was told about no argon in the windows and was told about the u factor.

How important is the condensation resistance? That's the only rating I have some concerns about. It's 45 compared to 60 in the Zen and Anlin.

Thanks

TheWindowNerd

#11 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would be concerned about the low CRF. Sounds like a surface 4 low e, the room side glass has a low e coating, I would not choose that option.

theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

Me neither.

In a cold climate with big swings of temperature, and rapid, a surface 4 Low-e is a recipe for condensation.

william.manley

#13 Post by william.manley »

Sorry if I derailed the thread somewhat.

Re finding Sunrise dealers, their website allows you to search for one.

HomeSealed

#14 Post by HomeSealed »

+1. The importance of Condensation resistance will vary based on your climate, but in colder areas it is definitely a concern.

toddinmn

#15 Post by toddinmn »

I’m on the with surface 4. It’s been out awhile but there is no real good feedback or complaints that I’m a aware of Would love to here Oberman’s thoughts . The cost of surface 4 often approaches Triple pane and my Window company does not even offer it . I’m gonna stick with triple panes cause I have to and due to the lack of real world feedback