Aluminum Brands - Chicago

Ask replacement window questions & get answers!
misterawesome

Aluminum Brands - Chicago

#1 Post by misterawesome »

I am needing to replace some double-hung and a few slider windows in a condo building in Chicago. The building windows are aluminum, so will need a comparable replacement. I've previously used this forum to get educated about quality brands to consider for vinyl replacements, and am hoping for similar guidance in the world of aluminum windows.

Some additional context: I am not sure who made the current windows - I only know that they are of poor quality based on feedback from neighbors and the high amount of air leaking through these; I plan to be in the condo for the next 3-5 years, so I'm not interested in making a major investment (just a solid replacement); It is a 3-level building, so will not need to consider high-rise-level ratings.

Any recos will be very much appreciated!

Windows on Washington

Re: Aluminum Brands - Chicago

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

How old are the current units?

Good aluminum is going to be pricey. If you are there 3 years, might want to look at interior storms.

How deep is the jamb depth on the window?

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Are you assuming that aluminum will be required, or has the been stated by the condo assoc? We've converted many 3-4 story condo complexes from aluminum to vinyl with great success. Aluminum is not a bad material, but its generally not a great option in a cold climate where it can be avoided.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

TRACO made some of the best. It loos like they were bought by Kawneer.
Contact Kawneer and see if they have a dealer near you.

misterawesome

#5 Post by misterawesome »

The building was rehabbed in 2006 (I believe) and assuming they are new from then. I am definitely considering doing the interior storms option as I am wary to make the investment on the aluminum windows. And I do believe I have to keep them aluminum in order to match the other units.

In our main window bank, we have an issue with water coming through the MDF casing - although that water is not coming in through the window (no flooding of where the sash meets the sill) Here is an image of the damage I’m talking about (the crappy caulking is from the previous owners). https://imgur.com/a/LXxaxpF. The entire casing needs to be replaced and I’m hopeful whatever this issue is can be fixed without replacing the window.

If I’m doing storms, does it need to be from the same manufacturer? I’m not sure where I’d locate that info. My neighbor has used some magnetic snap-on from a third party.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Based on what you shared and the photo, the mullion may have a small leak. Look at the outside at the top where the windows are joined ( mulled) together.
You can scrape and paint the sill or pull it out and replace with real wood or a water proof material like solid surfacing, granite, or quartz.

Observation, looks like the interior of the windows was painted.

Storm products, you may have three different options:
tape/plastic and hair dryer
interior storms
magnetic
aluminum
I would suggest the magnetic.

theWindowNerd

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

Mullion leak like TWN said.

I would also look at the precast sills of the building. We see them enter there and pool on the head of the window too.

misterawesome

#8 Post by misterawesome »

Thank you for this insight! I'm going to have the mullion leak inspected, and investigate my magnetic storm window options.